Apr 24, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT
Without his patented goggles but sporting a new windup and two-toned goatee, veteran right-hander Jose Valverde converted his first save of the 2013 season on Wednesday night as the Tigers defeated the Royals 7-5 at Detroit’s Comerica Park.
It was his first appearance since being promoted late Tuesday to the major leagues and he retired all three batters he faced — Alex Gordon, Alcides Escobar and Billy Butler — in order, throwing 18 pitches.
Valverde looked awful in last year’s postseason and couldn’t find a job this winter, but the Tigers decided in early April to bring him back on a minor league contract. He showed decent movement and velocity on Wednesday night against the Royals, even hitting 95 mph with his fastball at one point.
Joaquin Benoit has been shifted back to a setup role. He went 1 1/3 scoreless frames Wednesday.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 67
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11