Apr 24, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Not only is Jose Valverde going directly from the minors to reclaiming the Tigers’ closer role, Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that his one-year contract is worth $2 million upfront and another $3 million in potential incentives.
Pretty good for a 35-year-old who wasn’t really wanted back by the Tigers until very recently and struggled to find work of any kind all winter after following up a mediocre regular season with a dreadful postseason.
Valverde was paid $9 million last season, so if we assume most of his incentives are reachable and prorate everything for his missing most of April they’re basically getting him back for around half that price.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 14
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 47
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)