Apr 24, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Not only is Jose Valverde going directly from the minors to reclaiming the Tigers’ closer role, Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that his one-year contract is worth $2 million upfront and another $3 million in potential incentives.
Pretty good for a 35-year-old who wasn’t really wanted back by the Tigers until very recently and struggled to find work of any kind all winter after following up a mediocre regular season with a dreadful postseason.
Valverde was paid $9 million last season, so if we assume most of his incentives are reachable and prorate everything for his missing most of April they’re basically getting him back for around half that price.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)