Apr 24, 2013, 8:51 AM EDT
I guess it’s “meddling.” I mean, it is a situation in which the front office decided which pitcher would handle the day part of the yesterday’s doubleheader (Jose Fernandez) and which would handle the night (Ricky Nolasco). Not that it was capricious or anything. It was done in an effort to give Fernandez the start in warmer temperatures while pushing the veteran Nolasco to the evening hours.
But apparently it is tradition in doubleheader situations that the more senior pitcher usually gets to choose whether he wants the first game or the second. Nolasco wasn’t asked, however. What’s more, he was originally listed as the daytime starter and wasn’t notified that he was bumped late until a couple hours before game time. This ruffled some feathers, reports Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald:
“Not a smart move,” said a member of the Marlins’ uniformed contingent. “It’s a slap in the face to Ricky.”
After notching his first win of the season, it was clear Nolasco was biting his tongue.
“I’m not going to talk about that situation,” Nolasco said following only the Marlins’ fifth win of the season. “Still go to go out there and pitch, happy or not, whatever the situation is. You got to go out there and do my job. It wasn’t fun, but just grinded it out.”
Asked if he was unhappy about the late change, Nolasco replied: “No comment.”
I’ll take their word for it. Personally I had never before heard of this tradition. If it is something that’s done in baseball, however, and the Marlins ignored it, well, that’s the Marlins for you.
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 7
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 128
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)