Apr 24, 2013, 8:51 AM EDT
I guess it’s “meddling.” I mean, it is a situation in which the front office decided which pitcher would handle the day part of the yesterday’s doubleheader (Jose Fernandez) and which would handle the night (Ricky Nolasco). Not that it was capricious or anything. It was done in an effort to give Fernandez the start in warmer temperatures while pushing the veteran Nolasco to the evening hours.
But apparently it is tradition in doubleheader situations that the more senior pitcher usually gets to choose whether he wants the first game or the second. Nolasco wasn’t asked, however. What’s more, he was originally listed as the daytime starter and wasn’t notified that he was bumped late until a couple hours before game time. This ruffled some feathers, reports Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald:
“Not a smart move,” said a member of the Marlins’ uniformed contingent. “It’s a slap in the face to Ricky.”
After notching his first win of the season, it was clear Nolasco was biting his tongue.
“I’m not going to talk about that situation,” Nolasco said following only the Marlins’ fifth win of the season. “Still go to go out there and pitch, happy or not, whatever the situation is. You got to go out there and do my job. It wasn’t fun, but just grinded it out.”
Asked if he was unhappy about the late change, Nolasco replied: “No comment.”
I’ll take their word for it. Personally I had never before heard of this tradition. If it is something that’s done in baseball, however, and the Marlins ignored it, well, that’s the Marlins for you.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 31
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)