Apr 24, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
Baltimore had won 17 straight extra-inning games dating back to April 11, 2012, but that streak came to an end this afternoon against Toronto.
Orioles closer Jim Johnson, who’d been such a huge part of all their late- and extra-inning success, walked Maicer Izturis with the bases loaded to force in the go-ahead run in the 11th inning and the lineup couldn’t rally in the bottom of the frame.
Rich Dubroff of CSNBaltimore.com notes that the 17-game extra-inning winning streak was MLB’s longest since the Pirates won 21 straight in 1959-1960. And the Orioles nearly made it 18 in a row with a walk-off win when J.J. Hardy singled with a runner on second base in the 10th inning, but–as pictured–Manny Machado was thrown out at the plate by Rajai Davis.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:53 PM EDT
Good to see MLB make the smart call and suspend Stroman for headhunting.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
The Nationals starters are getting a breather today.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Altuve is on pace for the most hits in a season since …
Sep 17, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Pedants of the World Unite!
Sep 17, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
This year he hit .264 with nine homers and a .767 OPS in 99 games, including 47 starts at catcher.
Sep 17, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
He’ll mash lefties (hopefully) and play some first base.
Sep 17, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Despite playing for five different teams and in general not being particularly valuable Delmon Young is headed to the playoffs for the sixth consecutive season.
Sep 17, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
When the Giants acquired Jake Peavy from the Red Sox in late July expectations were minimal.
Sep 17, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
“His mindset is he wants to come back and play. Ours is, absolutely, if it can happen.”
Sep 17, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
Jonathan Papelbon got seven games for the crotch-grab. Joe West gets one game for the Papelbon grab.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Another day off for the Dodgers’ ailing shortstop.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
Most people either thought the O’s would lose this year or, at the very least, thought they’d win differently. Either way: they are the AL East champs.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
“Hey honey? I have some good news and some bad news . . . “
Sep 17, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
Or, at the very least doubted his ability to turn the Orioles around.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
He has decided to add difficulty to it. Like, playing second base while sitting on his but in the infield dirt. Or starting double plays from his stomach, for example.
Sep 17, 2014, 9:40 AM EDT
Great Moments in Southern Hospitality.
Sep 17, 2014, 9:13 AM EDT
Rays pitchers have hit Yankees batters five times in the past week. Joe Girardi is sick of it.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
It’s musical chairs time in the Pacific Coast League.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
And the Braves and their announcers bear some of the blame for this baloney.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:08 AM EDT
Beer showers on the Beltway as the Nats and Orioles both clinch
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 38
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)