Apr 24, 2013, 8:32 PM EST
Aceves was hammered for eight runs over just 3 1/3 innings on Tuesday night against the A’s, lifting his season ERA to 8.66. He also owns a brutal 2.09 WHIP and 14/12 K/BB ratio through 17 2/3 frames.
“It’s hard to figure out what you’re going to get out of Alfredo on a given day,” Red Sox manager John Farrell told reporters after Tuesday’s 13-0 blowout loss. “There seemed to be a lack of focus.”
John Lackey is expected to come off the disabled list Sunday to claim the vacant rotation spot.
UPDATE, 9:41 PM ET: Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says there are “indications” the Red Sox will try to trade Aceves to another team. He has 72 hours before he must report to Pawtucket.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 108
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (110)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)