Apr 24, 2013, 8:32 PM EDT
Aceves was hammered for eight runs over just 3 1/3 innings on Tuesday night against the A’s, lifting his season ERA to 8.66. He also owns a brutal 2.09 WHIP and 14/12 K/BB ratio through 17 2/3 frames.
“It’s hard to figure out what you’re going to get out of Alfredo on a given day,” Red Sox manager John Farrell told reporters after Tuesday’s 13-0 blowout loss. “There seemed to be a lack of focus.”
John Lackey is expected to come off the disabled list Sunday to claim the vacant rotation spot.
UPDATE, 9:41 PM ET: Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says there are “indications” the Red Sox will try to trade Aceves to another team. He has 72 hours before he must report to Pawtucket.
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 53
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)