Apr 24, 2013, 8:32 PM EDT
Aceves was hammered for eight runs over just 3 1/3 innings on Tuesday night against the A’s, lifting his season ERA to 8.66. He also owns a brutal 2.09 WHIP and 14/12 K/BB ratio through 17 2/3 frames.
“It’s hard to figure out what you’re going to get out of Alfredo on a given day,” Red Sox manager John Farrell told reporters after Tuesday’s 13-0 blowout loss. “There seemed to be a lack of focus.”
John Lackey is expected to come off the disabled list Sunday to claim the vacant rotation spot.
UPDATE, 9:41 PM ET: Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says there are “indications” the Red Sox will try to trade Aceves to another team. He has 72 hours before he must report to Pawtucket.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 28
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 191
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)