Apr 24, 2013, 8:32 PM EST
Aceves was hammered for eight runs over just 3 1/3 innings on Tuesday night against the A’s, lifting his season ERA to 8.66. He also owns a brutal 2.09 WHIP and 14/12 K/BB ratio through 17 2/3 frames.
“It’s hard to figure out what you’re going to get out of Alfredo on a given day,” Red Sox manager John Farrell told reporters after Tuesday’s 13-0 blowout loss. “There seemed to be a lack of focus.”
John Lackey is expected to come off the disabled list Sunday to claim the vacant rotation spot.
UPDATE, 9:41 PM ET: Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says there are “indications” the Red Sox will try to trade Aceves to another team. He has 72 hours before he must report to Pawtucket.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)