Apr 24, 2013, 8:32 PM EDT
Aceves was hammered for eight runs over just 3 1/3 innings on Tuesday night against the A’s, lifting his season ERA to 8.66. He also owns a brutal 2.09 WHIP and 14/12 K/BB ratio through 17 2/3 frames.
“It’s hard to figure out what you’re going to get out of Alfredo on a given day,” Red Sox manager John Farrell told reporters after Tuesday’s 13-0 blowout loss. “There seemed to be a lack of focus.”
John Lackey is expected to come off the disabled list Sunday to claim the vacant rotation spot.
UPDATE, 9:41 PM ET: Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says there are “indications” the Red Sox will try to trade Aceves to another team. He has 72 hours before he must report to Pawtucket.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 6
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 30
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 10
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)