Red Sox option Alfredo Aceves to Triple-A Pawtucket

Apr 24, 2013, 8:32 PM EDT

aceves getty Getty Images

From beat writer Sean McAdam of CSNNewEngland comes word that the Red Sox have optioned right-hander Alfredo Aceves to Triple-A Pawtucket.

Aceves was hammered for eight runs over just 3 1/3 innings on Tuesday night against the A’s, lifting his season ERA to 8.66. He also owns a brutal 2.09 WHIP and 14/12 K/BB ratio through 17 2/3 frames.

“It’s hard to figure out what you’re going to get out of Alfredo on a given day,” Red Sox manager John Farrell told reporters after Tuesday’s 13-0 blowout loss. “There seemed to be a lack of focus.”

John Lackey is expected to come off the disabled list Sunday to claim the vacant rotation spot.

**********************

UPDATE, 9:41 PM ET: Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says there are “indications” the Red Sox will try to trade Aceves to another team. He has 72 hours before he must report to Pawtucket.

1. historiophiliac - Apr 24, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Did Farrell just Valentine Aceves?

2. Jack Marshall - Apr 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Well, now we know why the Yankees let him go. He’s undeniably talented, but a permanent head case, and almost certainly toxic in the clubhouse. He was the team’s most valuable pitcher in 2011, but what Farrell is saying is that he can’t be trusted, and you just can’t have a major piece that you can’t trust. It’s a shame, but this Sox team doesn’t need him.

3. paperlions - Apr 24, 2013 at 8:49 PM

This is worse than anything Curt Schilling ever did to Rhode Island.

• The Common Man - Apr 24, 2013 at 9:13 PM

+a bajillion

• xavier46 - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Ah, fail!

• professorperry - Apr 24, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I don’t really think rape jokes are appropriate here. Or anywhere.

But it’s useful to have an example of what rape culture looks like, so we can point it out to others who might still be able to learn.

• hittfamily - Apr 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Thanks professor. I agree. It was consensual. Ask the local prosecutor.

• professorperry - Apr 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM

“Passed out girl”

That’s the only relevant data point in terms of consent.

That a local prosecutor could not make a case is the typical outcome rather than the aberration. The punishment of rapists is, tragically, the abnormal outcome.

Moreover, your kind of joking, and then your defense of it, is precisely what enables the culture of rape that poisons America. Steubenville is only the most publicized, latest, example.

You should be ashamed. I’m sure you are not. But you should be.

4. tfbuckfutter - Apr 24, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Is it really called an “option” when there is no other choice?

Unfortunately this idjit will probably work his way back up to the big club.

• sabatimus - Apr 24, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I would’ve prefered the words “designated for assignment”.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I’m partial to “put down”

But that’s just me.

5. kjericho43 - Apr 24, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Sayonara, asshole.

6. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 24, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I’m sure he’ll take this with lots of maturity.

7. proudlycanadian - Apr 24, 2013 at 9:07 PM

It is a necessary move, even though fans of the rest of the AL East are sad that old evil eyes has been sent to the minors.

• hittfamily - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I am. The Rays probably trade for him and now I have to root for Yunel, Luke Scott, Josh Lueke, and Aceves. Ugh!

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM

No way would the Sox trade him within the division.

That could come back to haunt them.

It’s nice to type instead of speak thoughts because I can at least get through typing them without laughing and gasping for air.

• hittfamily - Apr 24, 2013 at 11:25 PM

What are you hoping to get back for him? Most GM’s thought he would be non-tendered. He now has an ERA of 8, and just badmouthed his teammates. I’m pretty sure they’d deal him to anyone who offers at least a buy 1 get one free coupon to TGI Fridays.

8. wilkisoft - Apr 24, 2013 at 9:08 PM

They need to “option” him to another team.

9. sabatimus - Apr 24, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I hope he doesn’t report, pulls a Bartolo, skips town, and has his contract voided.

10. rickhigginshtbro - Apr 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM

oh to be a fly on the wall went that conversation went down, I’m sure it was quite the scene with plenty of colorful language.

11. Drew Silva - Apr 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Deleted the Roethlisberger joke. Sorry if some comments don’t make sense now.

• xavier46 - Apr 25, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Well done!

12. shanabartels - Apr 25, 2013 at 6:30 AM

I’m a little sad to hear this news, because my uncle got us free tickets to the game at Fenway tonight and I wanted to see a real shitshow. (Obviously I’m a visiting Yankees fan. Sorry Ace became such a sociopath, guys.)

13. steve7921 - Apr 25, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Did Farrell make him pay his way to Pawtucket? (p.s. I now it ain’t that far but still would have been funny)

14. pellypell - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:12 AM

This guys own mother doesn’t like him.

15. coloradostupid - Apr 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Next stop – Portland. OK, how about the Spinners?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4903)