Apr 24, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT
The Red Sox have recalled Daniel Bard from the Double-A Portland Seadogs.
Bard — who face-planted last year when the Sox attempted to make him a starter — has a 4.00 ERA with four walks and four strikeouts in nine innings so far this season. The Sox, apparently, think he’s been throwing OK, however, and frankly they need the help in the pen right now. Especially considering Alfredo Aceves may very well be stuffed in a box and shipped to Myanmar at some point soon.
Not figuring Bard will be there long, but he has a chance to wash the bad taste of last season out of everyone’s mouth.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 4
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 237
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (237)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)