Uptons the first brothers to hit back-to-back homers in 75 years

Apr 24, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT

B.J. Upton, Justin Upton

I heard someone note the Upton brothers’ back-to-back homers in last night’s game and didn’t think much of it. I assumed it had happened at some point relatively recently. Maybe the Gonzalezs did it? Were the Boones ever teammates? Duncans? Going back further, maybe Hank and Tommie Aaron did it. Or the Alous. I didn’t think all that critically about it, actually as it was late and I’m old and I don’t think too well after 10 PM.

But Buster Olney passes this along from Elias:

B.J and Justin Upton are just the secnd pair of siblings to hit back-to-back homers in MLB history. It also happened on Sept. 15, 1938 by Hall of Famers Paul and Lloyd Waner (Pirates).

If you had told me it was 75 years I probably would have guessed the Waners, because they’re the trivia answer to almost all brother hitting questions (the Niekro’s and Perrys cover the pitching).  But I never would have guessed it was 75 years.

Bet it doesn’t go five more months before it happens again.

1. lunt101 - Apr 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I remember in 1990 when Griffey Jr and Sr went back-to-back. Bet that never happens again.

• hasbeen5 - Apr 24, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Bryce and Jr Harper?

• banksatdixie - Apr 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM

He is a Mormon, so the possibility of him fostering 3-4 kids before he hits free agency is very real.

2. El Bravo - Apr 24, 2013 at 12:00 PM

This is gnarly, tubular, way cool, awesome, mondo, groovy, outrageous, and funky

• smftrdr - Apr 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Someone found Super Mario World’s Star Road Secret Levels.

• El Bravo - Apr 24, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Nailed it. Just feelin’ nostalgic this morning. Now tell me what A, B, A, C, A, B, B does.

• grugger - Apr 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Genesis Mortal Kombat Blood Code

• El Bravo - Apr 24, 2013 at 5:40 PM

double nailed it.

3. stabonerichard - Apr 24, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Pretty neat feat.

I will be really impressed when they pull off back-to-back inside-the-parkers.

4. goodellisruiningtheleague - Apr 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Why they gotta be “brothers” craig? You racist?

• tuberippin - Apr 24, 2013 at 4:47 PM

“SIBLINGS! I MEANT SIBLINGS!”

5. bjr007 - Apr 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM

It’s okay, Craig. Danny Espinosa wasn’t impressed either.

6. mazblast - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:58 PM

When it comes to the pitching side, the Dean brothers did it all first. The Niekro and Perry brothers did more of it later.

Three legends off to Cooperstown