Apr 24, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
I heard someone note the Upton brothers’ back-to-back homers in last night’s game and didn’t think much of it. I assumed it had happened at some point relatively recently. Maybe the Gonzalezs did it? Were the Boones ever teammates? Duncans? Going back further, maybe Hank and Tommie Aaron did it. Or the Alous. I didn’t think all that critically about it, actually as it was late and I’m old and I don’t think too well after 10 PM.
B.J and Justin Upton are just the secnd pair of siblings to hit back-to-back homers in MLB history. It also happened on Sept. 15, 1938 by Hall of Famers Paul and Lloyd Waner (Pirates).
If you had told me it was 75 years I probably would have guessed the Waners, because they’re the trivia answer to almost all brother hitting questions (the Niekro’s and Perrys cover the pitching). But I never would have guessed it was 75 years.
Bet it doesn’t go five more months before it happens again.
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 0
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (103)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)