Apr 24, 2013, 11:32 AM EST
I heard someone note the Upton brothers’ back-to-back homers in last night’s game and didn’t think much of it. I assumed it had happened at some point relatively recently. Maybe the Gonzalezs did it? Were the Boones ever teammates? Duncans? Going back further, maybe Hank and Tommie Aaron did it. Or the Alous. I didn’t think all that critically about it, actually as it was late and I’m old and I don’t think too well after 10 PM.
B.J and Justin Upton are just the secnd pair of siblings to hit back-to-back homers in MLB history. It also happened on Sept. 15, 1938 by Hall of Famers Paul and Lloyd Waner (Pirates).
If you had told me it was 75 years I probably would have guessed the Waners, because they’re the trivia answer to almost all brother hitting questions (the Niekro’s and Perrys cover the pitching). But I never would have guessed it was 75 years.
Bet it doesn’t go five more months before it happens again.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)