Apr 25, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
We’ve heard from some people wondering whether Alfredo Aceves will accept his demotion to Triple-A.
Aceves has 72 hours to report to Triple-A after the Red Sox optioned him to the minors yesterday. He hasn’t arrived in Pawtucket yet, but you can be sure he’ll get there within the time limit if only because he wants his money.
Aceves has a $2.65 million contract for this season and would be forfeiting the remainder of that money if he declined the Triple-A assignment. That would be awful lot of cash to give up in the name of pride, even for someone known to be a little unstable emotionally.
Or, put another way: He might be crazy, but he isn’t stupid.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 10
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 68
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 25
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 30
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)