And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights

Apr 25, 2013, 6:54 AM EDT

New York Mets' Valdespin celebrates after hitting grand-slam walk-off home run off Los Angeles Dodgers' Wall in MLB game in New York

Mets 7, Dodgers 3: Jordany Valdespin with a walkoff grand slam. See, good things happen when he doesn’t try to bunt.

Reds 1, Cubs 0: Mat Latos tossed seven shutout innings and Broxton and Chapman finished it off. Tough luck for Jeff Samardzija who struck out eight in six innings, but he’s gonna have to get used to tough luck pitching for these Cubs.

Blue Jays 6, Orioles 5: The first extra innings loss for Baltimore in over a year. That covered 17 instances of free baseball. Oh well, luck comes and goes. Well, maybe it wasn’t luck: the winning run came when Jim Johnson walked Maicer Izturis with the bases loaded, but still.

White Sox 3, Indians 2: Alex Rios hit a two-run homer to help the Chisox earn a split. I’m not sure who let Zach McAllister leave the Columbus, Ohio he and I are so accustomed to, but he walked five and allowed five hits in five and two-thirds innings. Come back home, Zach. We’ll go get some  paella at Barcelona and then some Jeni’s ice cream, maybe, and we’ll never make you lave Franklin County again.

Rockies 6, Braves 5: I left for an early dinner reservation just as Fredi Gonzalez sent Jordan Schafer home on a botched squeeze play while up 5-3 and one out in the ninth. I figure that Gonzalez was tired of seeing the Braves hit the ball all over the ballpark without any of his own input and felt like he had to justify his existence by managing the hell out of that little situation.  If he had let Coors Field’s nature take its course I’m guessing one of the next two batters could have or would have hit the ball in the air to score Schafer anyway, the game wouldn’t have been tied after nine and the Rockies would not have been able to mount this comeback win.  And yes, if you think this is just some long distraction enabling me to overlook the fact that Craig Kimbrel coughed up two runs in the ninth, well, you’re right.

Astros 10, Mariners 3: Baseball has 162 games and rarely does any one game matter or even mean anything all that much. But dudes, you just got scorched by the Astros. Three homers for Houston, who have four wins against Seattle in six meetings this year. They’ve only won seven overall.

Diamondbacks 3, Giants 2: Brandon Crawford his a homer in the ninth to tie it, but Arizona won it on a sac fly and is now 5-0 in extra innings games this year. The new Orioles or something.

Red Sox 6, Athletics 5: David Ortiz had two hits and an RBI. Stephen Drew hit an RBI triple. Boston has won nine of 12. Oh, and they sent Alfredo Aceves down to Pawtucket after this one, so it’s like a total exorcism of that 13-0 loss the other night.

Tigers 7, Royals 5: Jose Valverde comes back and gets a save on his first try out. Victor Martinez drove in two. Welcome to 2011.

Rays 3, Yankees 0: Alex Cobb was dominant (8.1 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 7K), allowing only three singles. Not sure what beat writers do in games like this when there’s really only one thing to talk about. I only have to write, like, three or four sentences. They have a whole story to fill. Maybe they can just CTRL-V “Alex Cobb” over and over again like the restaurant scene in “Being John Malkovich” or something.

Pirates 5, Phillies 3: Roy Halladay allowed only one hit and struck out eight in six innings and Ryan Howard and Chase Utley hit big booming homers. That used to mean an easy Philly win, but we’re a long way from 2010. Brandon Inge came and hit a pinch hit RBI single to tie it in the eighth because of course he did. Then Starling Marte tripled in a run in the ninth as part of a four-run Philly bullpen failure.

Rangers 11, Angels 3: Texas with a nine-run fourth inning put this one away pretty early. Nelson Cruz with a three-run homer. Lance Berkman drove in four. Yu Darvish wins the Run Support Award for the night. The pitchers in the Angels part of the box score look like a list of names from the witness protection program.

Padres 2, Brewers 1: I suppose Milwaukee had to lose eventually. I didn’t think Edinson Volquez would go seven innings without walking anyone eventually, but I’ll be damned if he didn’t.

1. natslady - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Apparently, my prolifically posting self is missed when I have a long work day and actually pay attention to my students. So, getting this out early.

Nats went 14-8 last spring. Their batting average? .226. Their runs scored? 74.
    This year, after 21 games (10-11). Batting average? .235 Runs scored? 76

2012 April. Ryan Zimmerman was hurt, Michael Morse was hurt.
    2013 April. Ryan Zimmerman is hurt, Adam LaRoche is hurt/slumping.

Difference? Obscenely good pitching, worse opponents, and a little bit o’ luck.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Shouldn’t this comment be in the Volquez story from last night or some other unrelated story?

• kiwicricket - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Why, that would spoil the unrelated post in that particular story, silly…

• natslady - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I’m done. Getting another id without any relation to gender. Enjoy your “victory.” Yeah, I’m thin-skinned.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:41 AM

This implication of sexism is a pretty blatant straw man. You can accuse me of being a jerk, because that’s probably true in this case … but having “lady” in your handle has ZERO to do with anything.

• natslady - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Not you, in particular, Eyebrows. But the difference in replies/thumbs is AMAZING when I post under my other id, even when the content of the post is almost identical. There are a lot of people, here and elsewhere, that simply don’t think females should have opinions on sports.

• kiwicricket - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Sorry if any offence was taken. I think Chip was touching on your slight habit of posting some information not entirely according to the posts. I actually like some of the stuff. Go nuts, keep enjoying what you write. That is why we are here.
        Not sure how gender came into this, though?

• historiophiliac - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:57 AM

You’re right, natslady, but I think the answer is to double down for the haters. Plus, I wouldn’t know it was you if you used another ID.

• paperlions - Apr 25, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Oh, so all nats fans aren’t thin skinned? It is just the same thin-skinned person with multiple IDs?

• natslady - Apr 25, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Eh, all right. Gender came into it because of a lot of history, here and elsewhere and controlled experiments that I’ve tried which demonstrated that sexism is not dead–even on Nats blogs where I’m well known and have met other fans at games. Sorry if anyone took offense.

The other day a young man who works at my studio asked me what position I played when I was a kid. I had to tell him when I was a kid girls weren’t allowed to play (organized) sports, or even to be bat “boys” at games. I competed in gymnastics and swimming but when I got to high school there was NO sport, NONE, open to females. (We did get into games for $1 on “Ladies” Days, and you could be a cheerleader–which didn’t have recognition as a sport). Even after all these years it still bothers me.

• abaird2012 - Apr 25, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I don’t know if I buy it. Show your work, please.

• historiophiliac - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Personally, I think you should make it your thing to post your homerific comments randomly…and then we can all spazz about it and everyone has bonded nicely.

The thumbs down for being female sometimes bothers me too, but the dudes worth talking to on here talk instead of just giving you the thumb — and I kinda like them all (except the chicken — I’m just after the wishbone there).

• chacochicken - Apr 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Ex-wife already got the wishbone in the divorce. But I still have my lack of dignity.

• stex52 - Apr 25, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Why in the world do you care about the “Thumbs up, thumbs down” stuff? It’s poointless, it can be manipulated, it doesn’t measure anything. Write what you want. We can torch you plenty without the silly little hands.

Just enjoy yourself.

• natslady - Apr 25, 2013 at 8:15 AM

LOL, thanks, Texas. Saw your Stros did OK for themselves last night. How is Bo doing?

• chacochicken - Apr 25, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Yes, ignore thumbs up or down. I write the most absurd, borderline offensive nonsense with shamefully little baseball input, yet still receive thumbs up. As a fellow Nats supporter, I enjoy reading your stuff much of it is good despite what these rascals may say.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:46 AM

On Point Suzie. Put ZERO stock in the thumbs up/down. People can (and do) routinely thumbs up their own posts. That…above all else…sums it up for me.
        In addition to humans having a tendency to be complete dicks of course. LOL!

• Jeremy T - Apr 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Apparently the thumbs don’t mind being told that they’re meaningless

• nbjays - Apr 25, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Exactly… I mean, people sometimes give dirtyharry1971’s posts thumbs-up, so how meaningful can they be?

• historiophiliac - Apr 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I’ll be honest, I sometime give harry the thumbs up to encourage his craziness. His insults are hilarious. I’m still trying to figure out what hoping your legs grow together means.

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 25, 2013 at 8:23 AM

And this is the thread I walk into this morning.

Happy Thursday HBT!

• hisgirlgotburrelled - Apr 25, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Does your other ID post almost nothing but Nats? Also, whether it’s coincidence or not, this ID posts a lot more when the Nats are winning. There may be some degenerates that thumbs down based on being a lady commenting on sports, but the negative feedback is not just gender related. People don’t care much for Nats fans… It’s not the only fan base. Join the club.

2. skeleteeth - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Jon Lester, that cheeky bastard, pitching to the score giving up 3 earned on 6 hits and walking 6 just to get the W. He knew what he was doing.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:26 AM

After that hot spring and hot start to the season, he was bound to cool off slightly.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Harold Reynolds approves of this comment, but only because he doesn’t understand the meaning of “tongue in cheek.”

• APBA Guy - Apr 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Really just one lousy pitch to Chris Young, after being squeezed on some low strikes that were called balls. Lester allowed his frustration get to him and he left a mushball up and outer half to Young who turned on it. That shouldn’t happen but Lester, at 29, has both lost some velocity and still has not matured as much as he should have at this point. Go back and look at him in his no-hitter at 2008. Very similar demeanor on the mound, but better velocity. Velocity loss is standard as pitchers age but they have to adjust. Last year Lester didn’t adjust at all but this year with John Farrell’s return he’s on track, keeping the ball down better and usually showing better command.

It’s also true that the A’s are an unusually patient team at the plate so they will make you throw a strike, one that the ump actually calls as opposed to what appears to be a strike.

In stark contrast to Lester is the mysterious Mr. Anderson. What ails him? Let’s start with complete loss of command. Yesterday he was just flinging it up there. And for two innings that worked, but the second time through the lineup the Sox made him throw actual strikes, which Mr. Anderson found difficult. Again. It looks like his arm is all rubbery probably from not throwing significant innings in game situations over the 22 months since his TJ. Last year the Cards had Wainwright pitch a full season and he seems to be back as sound as ever. It may take Mr. Anderson another 1-2 months to get up to strength and have the feel for his breaking stuff, which can be devastating when he commands it. In the meantime, A’s fans have to hope his ERA can get below its currently horrible level so the A’s have a shot at winning his starts.

The beloved A’s were 1-5 on this road trip, but remain solid at 13-9 thanks to the 6-0 against the Astros.

3. kelshannon19 - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Stros before hoes baby

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM

“Stros before hoes.” Lol! You guys keep this up and your boys just might be alright.

4. kiwicricket - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:26 AM

It is becoming overwhelmingly clear that MLB has a serious problem on it’s hands.
    The sheer abundance of horrific facial hair on each and every team is disturbing.
    Bud needs to create a task force to investigate and weed out the cause of such abysmal grooming techniques, as it is clearly not something children should be emulating.

A proactive approach toward the eradication of trashy, pubic-hair appearing, condiment containing, non-uni-formally distributed facial hair must start now.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Youk cleaned up real good, so why can’t the others?

• kiwicricket - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I feel you may have a very loose version of ‘cleaned up real good’ ….

• proudlycanadian - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Have you looked at him lately. He almost looks benign.

• kiwicricket - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Appears younger and slimmer without the facial hair, but still looks like one of the creatures lurking about Macondo, which Gator keeps telling us about.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Have you seen those Old Spice / Head and Shoulders ads featuring a couple of LA Angels that are telling the youth of America that if you smell, are clean shaven and make a lot of money you will get the sexy women?

• historiophiliac - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:50 AM

He looks like something and it makes me gag-giggle whenever I see him…

• kiwicricket - Apr 25, 2013 at 8:01 AM

“featuring a couple of LA Angels that are telling the youth of America that if you smell, are clean shaven and make a lot of money you will get the sexy women?”

That is pretty much a near certainty in LA though, isn’t it?

• Old Gator - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM

“Cleaning up” Youkilis is akin to shaving a moose cow’s ass and making her walk backwards. I fail to see how this contributes to the cause of grooming anything.

• indaburg - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Youk does not clean up good. He looks quite literally like a penis.

I volunteer for the task force.

• historiophiliac - Apr 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Yeah, ^^^ what she said. (But I wasn’t gonna say it.)

• paperlions - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:36 AM

You are worried about children growing long scraggly beards?

• kiwicricket - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Long scraggly beards, handle-bar beards, pubic hair looking tufts on chins and whatever the hell Colby Rasmus is doing on his face this week.

Someone needs to think of the children, as they will grow older and emulate their heroes.

• paperlions - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Like the liberal use of hats (not cap, hats), facial hair should be used to celebrate you individuality.

• historiophiliac - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:50 AM

My God, you wear funky hats too?!?

• paperlions - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:54 AM

No, I wear awesome hats (e.g. Filson tin cloth bush hat).

• historiophiliac - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Of course you do.

• Old Gator - Apr 25, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I wear a propeller beanie with a Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers applique on it, but only when there’s a breeze.

• kiwicricket - Apr 25, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I am all for a rich tapestry of individualism, but a bunch of bullshit on your face is stretching it.

• paperlions - Apr 25, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Whiskerist!

A man (or woman) has little choice in how full their whiskers come in. I won’t judge a man (or woman) for choosing to let grow whatever will grow.

• cur68 - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I think what paperlions is saying is that he’s really Jayson Werth. Shouldn’t you go practice your bunting?

• paperlions - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Bunting is for quitters.

• historiophiliac - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Razorist!

You would’ve enjoyed my lecture this week. We talked about changing notions of masculinity in the 19th century (and homosocial relations) — comparing pics of the FF’s and Civil War heroes. (And then, of course, I had to work in transgendered soldiers.) I love messing with their minds.

• paperlions - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I have nothing against the clean shaven. Shave (or not) and let shave (or not), I always say.

I’m sure ambiguation of masculinity goes over great in OK.

• historiophiliac - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I can’t decide if it’s a good thing or not that they can’t conceive of a world without an understanding of homosexuality like theirs.

• paperlions - Apr 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM

It is probably valuable that they understand that future generations are going to think some of their current views are archaic…probably not great that they get the idea that it is okay to be homophobic.

I have a nephew that is a misogynistic, racist, homophobic asshole (he’s 23), his father introduced him to these ideas and he thought they were all fantastic ideas. I have a feeling he’s over-compensating for being 5’4″ and 130 lbs….doesn’t make him any less of an unbearable asshole though.

• historiophiliac - Apr 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Ha! I knew you were short!

• paperlions - Apr 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Not that short….I’d be tall…if I were Mexican.

• historiophiliac - Apr 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I got one right!

• goawaydog - Apr 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Might be time for the all beard team

5. proudlycanadian - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Congratulations to Doc for another fine performance.

• wlschneider09 - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Apparently Doc isn’t dead yet. Imagine that.

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 25, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Don’t tell any of the major news networks.

Or, in other words, “I would not say such things if I were you.”

6. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Fredi Gonzalez’s decision to run that squeeze play leads me to point out how the advent of MLB.TV isn’t always a great thing … I was watching on my computer at work and let out an audible “SON OF A BITCH” when the ensuing rundown commenced. It’s a pretty laid back office, but I’m probably going to have to watch myself a little more during day games.

We were also discussing Adam Wainwright’s long stretch without a walk that ended Tuesday night and how it wasn’t even close to the record, which in turn led to a discussion of Orel Hershiser’s record for consecutive scoreless innings. While we don’t ever think that record will fall, we kind of thought perhaps it’d be a dominant closer who’d be more likely to pull it off. Craig Kimbrel’s name came up as a candidate … maybe we jinxed him. If so, I apologize to the rest of the Braves fans here.

• sportsdrenched - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:28 AM

It’s a good thing our IT has blocked MLB.tv or I wouldn’t have a job.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM

In that case, I’d say it’s a perfect time to break out the smartphone app …

• sportsdrenched - Apr 25, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Indeed, but then I actually look like I’m goofing off, where if it were on my work computer I could hide it on the fly should I need to.

7. kiwicricket - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:35 AM

So basically, Freddi thought to himself “I pissed away a scoring chance last year in the one game playoff, what are the odds of it happening again? Lets run it !!

• Old Gator - Apr 25, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Schafer looked like that guy in Jurassic Park II in that aerial shot where you see the high grass parting as the raptors converge on him. So it goes. Of course, Fat Fredi studied botched squeeze plays and other baserunning boners while interning with the Feesh. He and his coaches used to feed baserunners to the opposing catcher like Miccosukee tour guides feeding marshmallows to alligators. It’s nice to see that he’s perfected his technique.

8. historiophiliac - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:54 AM

When Brennan Boesch made that lovely error on a ball he should have easily fielded and it allowed the Rays to advance runners to scoring position, I thought: welcome to my 2012, Yanks. Only, it’s funny when it’s not your team and it adds to the DOOM!!!!!!!!

• kiwicricket - Apr 25, 2013 at 8:18 AM

When it’s really really hot later on in the summer, are the Tigers planning on replacing Miggy and Peralta while fielding with large sacks of spuds in order to conserve their energy?

• historiophiliac - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:27 AM

There’s no Dedicated Potato in baseball. It’s not like y’alls’ Hot Potato game.

• spudchukar - Apr 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Careful.

9. spudchukar - Apr 25, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Hey, Craig, just so you know, the Cards did have something to do with the three wins in Washington. And yes Strasburg did settle down and pitched well after the 1st inning, but the Nats like the rest of the teams in the MLB have to play the 1st inning of games too. What happens there is just as important as any other inning. One could make the claim that it is even more important than others.

St. Louis stands at 13-8, atop the NL Central, the only division with 4 teams with at least 11 wins. Plus they have only played 6 home games, and have faced tough competition, the lone breather coming in the four game tilt in Philadelphia. Unlike the second place Reds, who incidentally have played all but 6 games at home, they haven’t had the good fortune or facing the Marlins, Cubs, and Angels.

So a team that started the season knowing their ace, Carpenter, short stop Furcal, and closer, Motte, were all finished for the year are 5 games above .500, due primarily to timely hitting, great starting pitching, and the wisdom to have the depth, to replace the injured past stars.

Can their success continue? Who knows. But now that they seem to have sorted out the back end of their bull pen, come home for most of the next few weeks, and face a little easier schedule, the odds are they will at least be in the thick of things come this time next month.

So dis the St. Louis nine all ya want, the Red Birds thrive on that kind of thing.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:51 AM

INDIGNATION!

• kyzslew77 - Apr 25, 2013 at 10:25 AM

#stlcards
      #bestfansandbiggestwhinersinbaseball

• jm91rs - Apr 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM

So you started the season thinking Carpenter was the ace for the Cardinals? I guess you just forgot about Wainwright?

• spudchukar - Apr 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Any Cardinal player will tell you that if Carpenter hadn’t been injured, he would have started Game 1 of the 2013 season. And Wainwright would have insisted on that order too. Co-aces perhaps, but as long as Carpenter was available he deserves and would get the call.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Yep. Even with his shoulder issues. The Dude is a warrior (see innings pitched in 2011). Which of course expedited his issues with the shoulder. He is the clubhouse leader. He commands respect and the players absolutely admire him. So…yeah…hell yeah he would have been the ace. Please know I would despise him should he have played for any other team. But I would have the upmost respect for what he brings/brought to the table. And what he brought was a work ethic that was legendary.

• MyNameIsWilliamBillForShort - Apr 25, 2013 at 2:54 PM

dis? really? Where did you see a dis from Craig?

“Cardinals 4, Nationals 2: The sweep. Stephen Strasburg had a rough first inning, but then he settled down and kept his team in the game, only to watch as Washington whiffed and ran its way out of a couple of would-be rallies. Strasburg’s record now stands at 1-4.”

Again…where’s the dis? Maybe if Craig had written it like this, you wouldn’t have had a reason to post this morning?

“Cardinals 4, Nationals 2: The sweep. By the greatest team in baseball history, the 2013 St. Louis Cardinals. Stephen Strasburg clearly came out with his best stuff, but the Cardinals still knocked him around. It doesn’t matter who is on the mound because nobody can stop this offensive juggernaut. Strasburg didn’t settle down as much as the Cardinals took pity and didn’t want to run the score up on the Nationals. Of course, the Cardinals pitching was too awesome for the Nationals hitters, and even the bad baserunning mistakes by the Nationals only happened because of the effects of seeing the Cardinals jerseys on the field with them and losing their concentration. Sure Strasburg’s record now stands at 1-4, but he pitched as well as he possibly could considering he was pitching against the greatest team in the history of major league baseball, the 2013 St. Louis Cardinals.”

Better?

10. jarathen - Apr 25, 2013 at 8:32 AM

The Angels were never going to win this game and barely even tried. Roth was spot starting and that was it, and going up against Darvish with a 9th-round draft rookie is like going up against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

11. dink53 - Apr 25, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Please don’t mention Jeni’s this early in the morning. Now I have to listen to the freezer calling all day.

12. acdc363 - Apr 25, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Awesome Being John Malkovich reference!

13. sportsdrenched - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Mike Moustakas’ star has crashed to earth and hit a dumpster, catching said dumpster on fire in a city that’s used to their sports teams being dumpster fires.

14. youknowwhatsgoodforshoulderpain - Apr 25, 2013 at 10:21 AM

“The pitchers in the Angels part of the box score look like a list of names from the witness protection program.”

*bowtie spins*

15. kyzslew77 - Apr 25, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Craig, regarding Braves/Rockies–U MAD

16. hisgirlgotburrelled - Apr 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Halladay has allowed only 3 hits in the last two games (13 IP), and all 3 were solo HR’s.

• bleedgreen - Apr 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM

But nary a word from Craig after all the nay-saying about how he’s done, washed up, completely finished and that maybe… just maybe, he was wrong.

• hisgirlgotburrelled - Apr 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM

If Halladay continues to pitch well he will… This isn’t PFT. Maybe in not so many “i was so wrong” words, not even really sure if Craig burried Halladay, but if Halladay keeps putting in quality starts like he has over the last 3 then I’m sure there will be praise for him. Halladay’s the type of guy people want to see playing at a high level for a long time.

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 25, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Please refer me to where I ever said Halladay was “done, washed up, completely finished” or anything even close to it.

I noted he struggled. Which he did. I noticed his stuff/velocity was suffering, which it was. I said he’s going to have to figure out how to pitch without that great stuff and said that, if anyone could do it, Halladay could.

But if you want to live in fantasy world, by all means, feel free to do so.

• MyNameIsWilliamBillForShort - Apr 25, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Craig getting unjustly destroyed today. First, the guy above says he “dissed” the Cardinals. Now this guy singles out Craig for just pointing out the facts about Doc. There were quite a few people talking about Doc as if he needed to retire ASAFP. But Craig certainly wasn’t one of them.

• MyNameIsWilliamBillForShort - Apr 25, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Oh and FYI to burrell…the hit last night was a stinking bloop single from Ramirez not a solo HR.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2563)