Apr 25, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT
This meeting was planned prior to the Boston Marathon bombing, but the bombing will no doubt loom over today’s meeting of baseball operations officials, who will be discussing stadium security enhancements:
Among the security topics that could be discussed are backpacks that fans bring into ballparks.
Each team has different policies for fans, although the general major league limitation on bag sizes is 16 inches by 16 inches by 8 inches. Teams might talk about whether they want to cut that down from the size of a standard school backpack to something such as a laptop carrying bag.
There isn’t much in the way of coherence across the league when it comes to bag policies. Some places let you bring in big old bags and are relatively lax in checking. Some places, like Yankee Stadium, are far more strict.
One would hope that a single event, however tragic, will not cause sports leagues to engage in a crackdown which makes going to games a much more difficult and much less enjoyable experience, but after how the whole of this country has reacted to theats, real or imagined, over the past twelve years, I’m not at all optimistic.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 27
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 43
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 32
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 35
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 84
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 89
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (190)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (103)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)