Wanna buy Bret Saberhagen’s old baseball stuff?

Apr 25, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2013-04-25 at 1.59.27 PM

Via the Associated Press, two-time Cy Young winner Bret Saberhagen is auctioning off a bunch of his old baseball memorabilia “because it’s gathering dust in a storage shed and the proceeds will be used to benefit others.”

SCPAuctions.com is running the sale and there are a total of 77 items up for bid, including:

- 1985 World Series ring
- Game-worn high school uniforms
- 1985 and 1989 Cy Young awards
- The ball from his first MLB win
- The ball from his 1991 no-hitter
- Rolex watch from winning World Series MVP
- Comeback Player of the Year award
- Gold Glove award

And then all sorts of other random stuff too.

Saberhagen made nearly $50 million during his 16-season career and retired in 2001, but the Associated Press reports that “the proceeds will go to his foundation and four children.”

1. billyboots - Apr 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I have no idea what Brett is like personally, but I would hate to get rid of some of that stuff, if for nothing besides leaving it to my children. I know my mom still has some of my awards from high school on display at home, so maybe his parents (if they haven’t passed) would like to do something similar? Either way, I hope he has a great charity in mind and they make a lot of money off of this.

2. xmatt0926x - Apr 25, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I like that world series ring. Subtle and classy instead of the monstrous, blingy and tacky rings these guys get today.

3. mybrunoblog - Apr 25, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I guess I’m thinking like a fan but if I had a World Series ring they’d have to pry it off my cold stiff finger after I died. And even then it would go to my family not the highest bidder.

• coachbrew - Apr 25, 2013 at 4:14 PM

That was my first thought too. After 20+ years, I could see getting rid of some of that stuff, but I don’t see how any player could part with a World Series ring.

• badintent - Apr 26, 2013 at 12:08 AM

That exactly what happen to Joe Dimaggio when he died. His lawyer had the nurse pull it off his dead finger.Lawyers are scum. Read the book Joe Dimaggio by Robert Parker/ Great read.

4. professor30 - Apr 25, 2013 at 5:15 PM

What about the spray bottle he used to spray bleach at the media in the Met’s locker room?

5. tfbuckfutter - Apr 25, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I wonder if his high school baseball uniform would fit me.

Because I feel like it would be pretty awesome to just walk around town in Bret Saberhagen’s high school baseball uniform.

6. Cereal - Apr 25, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I caught a foul ball at a game while he was pitching, I almost feel like he spit directly on my hands

7. hojo20 - Apr 25, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Denkinger should get half the proceeds for that 1985 ring.

8. 11thstreetmafia - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM

9. crnvic847 - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Yea I would never part ways with a world series ring if I were a player. Especially a Kansas City Royals world series ring!!!!!!

10. gonderfan - Apr 25, 2013 at 10:23 PM

So does anyone know what “to his foundation and four children” actually means? I am going to leave my entire fortune to my church and the garbage can. A nickel to the church and the rest …

I am not assuming that is how he is splitting it, but just wondering how …

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet