Apr 25, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT
Derek Jeter met with the media a few minutes ago. No new news was broken. This was mostly Jeter reminding everyone that, yes, he’s still alive. Among his comments, which I’m getting from various Yankees beat writers Twitter feeds:
Jeter said recovering from his broken ankle has been a “difficult” and “frustrating” process that “unfortunately has taken longer than expected.” He said, however, that “I have no doubt I’ll be back,” though he and the Yankees are declining to give a timeline, because “last timeline I set I didn’t make. I don’t want to disappoint myself.” But he does not regret setting a goal of returning Opening Day, even if it didn’t work out. He said he “never had any doubt” that he’d come back, even if it hasn’t worked out the way he expected it to.
He said “as soon as I can play, I’ll play.” And though he won’t reveal a return date, he has one in mind. I guess everyone has to have goals.
Finally, he was asked if he’d watched many Yankees games. He said no because “I don’t have the MLB package at my house.” Which means that there is now, officially, one thing I have over Derek Jeter in my life. Only one, but I’ll take it.
Even if nothing exactly newsworthy came out of this presser, it was probably wise for Jeter and the Yankees to have it. Whether they intended it or not, there has been an air of secrecy about his status. Even some deception, actually, as Jeter’s setback was first described by the team as “not a setback.”
It’s like Jeter is some mysterious head of state about whom no one dares say anything negative. At some point you have to hear from him, ya know?
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 16
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 100
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 73
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (100)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)