Apr 25, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT
Derek Jeter met with the media a few minutes ago. No new news was broken. This was mostly Jeter reminding everyone that, yes, he’s still alive. Among his comments, which I’m getting from various Yankees beat writers Twitter feeds:
Jeter said recovering from his broken ankle has been a “difficult” and “frustrating” process that “unfortunately has taken longer than expected.” He said, however, that “I have no doubt I’ll be back,” though he and the Yankees are declining to give a timeline, because “last timeline I set I didn’t make. I don’t want to disappoint myself.” But he does not regret setting a goal of returning Opening Day, even if it didn’t work out. He said he “never had any doubt” that he’d come back, even if it hasn’t worked out the way he expected it to.
He said “as soon as I can play, I’ll play.” And though he won’t reveal a return date, he has one in mind. I guess everyone has to have goals.
Finally, he was asked if he’d watched many Yankees games. He said no because “I don’t have the MLB package at my house.” Which means that there is now, officially, one thing I have over Derek Jeter in my life. Only one, but I’ll take it.
Even if nothing exactly newsworthy came out of this presser, it was probably wise for Jeter and the Yankees to have it. Whether they intended it or not, there has been an air of secrecy about his status. Even some deception, actually, as Jeter’s setback was first described by the team as “not a setback.”
It’s like Jeter is some mysterious head of state about whom no one dares say anything negative. At some point you have to hear from him, ya know?
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)