Derek Jeter: “I have no doubt I’ll be back”

Apr 25, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT

derek jeter getty Getty Images

Derek Jeter met with the media a few minutes ago. No new news was broken. This was mostly Jeter reminding everyone that, yes, he’s still alive. Among his comments, which I’m getting from various Yankees beat writers Twitter feeds:

Jeter said recovering from his broken ankle has been a “difficult” and “frustrating” process that “unfortunately has taken longer than expected.” He said, however, that “I have no doubt I’ll be back,” though he and the Yankees are declining to give a timeline, because “last timeline I set I didn’t make. I don’t want to disappoint myself.” But he does not regret setting a goal of returning Opening Day, even if it didn’t work out. He said he “never had any doubt” that he’d come back, even if it hasn’t worked out the way he expected it to.

He said “as soon as I can play, I’ll play.” And though he won’t reveal a return date, he has one in mind.  I guess everyone has to have goals.

Finally, he was asked if he’d watched many Yankees games. He said no because “I don’t have the MLB package at my house.” Which means that there is now, officially, one thing I have over Derek Jeter in my life. Only one, but I’ll take it.

Even if nothing exactly newsworthy came out of this presser, it was probably wise for Jeter and the Yankees to have it. Whether they intended it or not, there has been an air of secrecy about his status. Even some deception, actually, as Jeter’s setback was first described by the team as “not a setback.”

It’s like Jeter is some mysterious head of state about whom no one dares say anything negative.  At some point you have to hear from him, ya know?

1. rbj1 - Apr 25, 2013 at 5:48 PM

” “I don’t have the MLB package at my house.”” Tragic how bad this economy is, that multimillionaire players can’t afford the MLB package.

Seriously, just get healthy.

• tuberippin - Apr 25, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I imagine he has no need to watch television, since he can pretty much just step outside (even on crutches) and pick up some quality NY women. Hit it, quit it, and call them a taxi with a nice basket of arrangements.

I wonder if that was his physical therapy for the ankle injury.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM

What makes you think he has to leave the penthouse? NYC has top quality women (and men) for delivery.

• tuberippin - Apr 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM

BOO, NO INSULTING JETER, BOOOOO

• Caught Looking - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I have the MLB package and Minka Kelly. So that’s two things I have over Jete’s.

2. professor30 - Apr 25, 2013 at 5:51 PM

He called a press conference to say “as soon as I can play, I’ll play”?

• thomas844 - Apr 25, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Lol I wish I could do that with my job. I’ll get sick, call a press conference, and be like, “When I get better, I’ll come back to work. Just wanted to let you all know.”

• bfunk1978 - Apr 25, 2013 at 6:18 PM

As Craig said when he wrote the post about the announcement, Jeter is a highly-publicized player. Most players wouldn’t get this or even think about it, but Jeter is kind of transcendent. Even I get it. He’s fun to bag on, but when it comes down to it he’s just more important than most.

3. historiophiliac - Apr 25, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Doom drama

• badintent - Apr 26, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Thank you ! Craig lead the pre season Doom and gloom parade on Yankee Nation. Lawyers are good for lawyer jokes and little else. I am more impress with Cashmen’s “bench ” player signing now than I was when he was simply writing out huge checks to “super stars”. His abiltiy to provide a great back roster to play hard and well to keep the Yankees in the mix until the” troops” return is impressive.

• sadpandarevolt - Apr 26, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Lead the doom and gloom?

Didn’t he say that people were selling them short and they’d be better than most thought? Because I think I remember that being the case.

4. sarcasticks - Apr 25, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Don’t sell yourself short, Craig. You also have the total lack of skin pigmentation that Jeter can’t claim.

5. victoreigen - Apr 25, 2013 at 6:04 PM

As a Sox fan, I am a bit conflicted. On the one hand, I do have a solid, if begrudging respect for the guy and hate to see an all around Class-A ballplayer go through this sort of thing at or near the end of his career. On the other hand, playing the B-squad Yankees for as long as possible just seems delightful.

• chukpark - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Don’t worry. You’ll get the best of both worlds when Jeter comes back. Age and injury will prevent him from being effective, and the B Yankees will be the new A Yankees.

6. Jeremy T - Apr 25, 2013 at 6:05 PM

There’s not much reason for him to have the MLB package, since he’s usually kinda busy whenever there are games on.

7. dowhatifeellike - Apr 25, 2013 at 6:07 PM

“We can’t wait for your return.” -right-handed AL East players

8. thezonereadblog - Apr 25, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Reblogged this on The Zone-Read Blog .

9. thebadguyswon - Apr 25, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Ok…..so the point of a press conference what was again?

10. 13arod - Apr 25, 2013 at 7:13 PM

let me get this stright he gets paid 15 million $ and you can’t afford to pay about 100$ to get mlb package ??

• cackalackyank - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:03 PM

He has no need….when the games are on he is auditioning the next gift basket recipient.

11. zurnvs - Apr 26, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Isn’t this guy dating the direct TV genie?

12. drelms - Apr 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM

So many words of respect for a guy with a lack of moral fiber. I guess everyone forgets the at bat that Jeter claimed to be hit by a pitch when replay show he had clearly not been. His claim to fame was something like, “we have to do what ever we can to get on base”. Or how about the other yankee cheating loser who swiped the ball out of a first baseman’s hand when he ran by or screamed into another players ear so that he would drop the ball he was trying to catch. I remember, as a kid when baseball players had some class and did not act like cheaters when they stepped on the field. Jeter will come back next year for his big brouhaha end of a career and then fade into oblivion.

Three legends off to Cooperstown