Apr 25, 2013, 1:33 AM EDT
Padres starter Edinson Volquez blanked the Brewers for seven innings Wednesday to win for the first time this year. Normally, that wouldn’t necessarily be worthy of a blog entry. However, it happened to be the first time in 127 career starts in which Volquez went seven innings and walked no one.
Volquez, who walked 105 batters in 182 2/3 innings for San Diego last year, had just three previous BB-less starts and none compared to this one:
Sept. 14, 2006 against LAA: Lost after allowing two runs in five innings
Sept. 25, 2006 against LAA: Lost after allowing five runs in three innings
Sept. 19, 2012 against ARI: Lost after allowing four runs in six innings
Volquez tonight threw 94 pitches, 61 of them for strikes. He’s allowed two runs over 13 innings in his last two starts after going 0-3 with an 11.68 ERA in his first three.
Tonight’s game was also notable for another reason: Brewers first baseman Martin Maldonado was called out for batters’ interference to end the game with the tying run on second, giving the Padres the 2-1 win. He ran into his own batted ball while partly in the batters’ box, but was called out.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 26
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 5
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)