Apr 25, 2013, 1:33 AM EDT
Padres starter Edinson Volquez blanked the Brewers for seven innings Wednesday to win for the first time this year. Normally, that wouldn’t necessarily be worthy of a blog entry. However, it happened to be the first time in 127 career starts in which Volquez went seven innings and walked no one.
Volquez, who walked 105 batters in 182 2/3 innings for San Diego last year, had just three previous BB-less starts and none compared to this one:
Sept. 14, 2006 against LAA: Lost after allowing two runs in five innings
Sept. 25, 2006 against LAA: Lost after allowing five runs in three innings
Sept. 19, 2012 against ARI: Lost after allowing four runs in six innings
Volquez tonight threw 94 pitches, 61 of them for strikes. He’s allowed two runs over 13 innings in his last two starts after going 0-3 with an 11.68 ERA in his first three.
Tonight’s game was also notable for another reason: Brewers first baseman Martin Maldonado was called out for batters’ interference to end the game with the tying run on second, giving the Padres the 2-1 win. He ran into his own batted ball while partly in the batters’ box, but was called out.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)