Jordany Valdespin: from flake to hero in one night?

Apr 25, 2013, 9:12 AM EDT

New York Mets v Milwaukee Brewers Getty Images

Doesn’t work that way I suppose, but last night’s walkoff grand slam probably covers for a lot of past transgressions by Jordany Valdespin.  Who I vaguely understood was unpopular with his teammates due to some immature antics and lackadaisical play, but I had no idea just how unpopular and how lackadaisical it was until I read Andy Martino’s piece on him in the Daily News this morning.

Some people may say “only on the Mets” to stuff like that, but for Valdespin I’d say “lucky it’s on the Mets.” Because there’s a decent chance that a guy like him never sees the light of day on a more talented team, as baseball just doesn’t tolerate knuckleheads like that. At least those who aren’t capable of superstar play.

The grand slam doesn’t erase all that stuff — if he has a rough stretch his weirdness and immaturity will be just as big a problem as it was before — but it’ll be interesting to see if growing as a professional and a talent go hand-in-hand.

1. shawnuel - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I’d say he became a true folk hero the day he took a 97 MPH Verlander fastball in the berries. Also, due to his response afterward.

• cur68 - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:32 AM

A ball to the junk will cool anyone off. S’hard to be The Man when your Essentials are splattered all over the landscape. Perhaps The Mets should send Verlander a thank you note for the service?

I would like to take this space to request that JV do the same for Brett Lawrie next time they face each other. Lawrie’s hitting is crap for the exact same reason Valdespin’s was. A shot to the ‘nards should keep him from jumping at the ball.

• historiophiliac - Apr 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM

/giggling

2. nygf - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM

That may be true. But…HE IS THE MAN RIGHT NOW!

3. chill1184 - Apr 25, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Hes still a knucklehead but improved from what Ive read about him last season. However he does need to play more to see if hes more than a bench player.

4. historiophiliac - Apr 25, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Craig, you forgot to include his slash line in that post.

5. American of African Descent - Apr 25, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Sounds a bit like he refuses to be hazed. Good for him, even if some people hate him for it.

6. dasportsninja - Apr 25, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Guy like Valdaspin are no longer the exception, they are becoming the norm. Every club house in MLB has guys that don’t care about tradition and are me first primadonas. Just sayin!

7. dondada10 - Apr 25, 2013 at 11:46 AM

JV1 has had a lot of issues since he signed. The Mets sent him home from A ball years ago because of his childishness, and his Summer League team suspended him 10 games or so one time for similar incidents.

Omar Minaya used to rave about his talent but bemoan his maturity.

I wish TC would use him at short.

8. scoocha - Apr 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I don’t think the “only on the Mets” comment is that far off though. I really seems that they attract players like him for some reason.

9. Jonny 5 - Apr 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM

One thing Martino missed. The pie was smashed into his face so hard, I’m shocked his nose didn’t bleed. It was the hardest pie to the face I ever saw. Could be something, maybe not.

10. nukeladouche - Apr 25, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Am I the only person who thinks that Valdespin sounds like a name from the Harry Potter series?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. Y. Molina (3206)