Apr 25, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Back in February, when Jose Valverde was still looking for work, a report that he was close to signing with the Marlins was almost immediately shot down and called “a typical ploy by Scott Boras.”
I bring this up because yesterday, when Valverde spoke to the Detroit media upon rejoining the Tigers, he told reporters that the Yankees and Mets were among several teams that had made him major-league contract offers that he turned down.
That seemed odd, because until two weeks ago Valverde was unemployed. And sure enough when asked about Valverde’s claim Yankees general manager Brian Cashman emphatically denied offering him a major-league deal or a minor-league deal. In fact, Cashman said “false, false, false” and explained that the Yankees never even had negotiations with Valverde. But wait, what about the Mets? Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that they didn’t make Valverde an offer either.
Who knows if Valverde was fibbing or if he was simply working off less than accurate information relayed to him by his agent, but either way … he wasn’t turning down big-league offers this offseason.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 14
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 25
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 26
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)