Apr 25, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Back in February, when Jose Valverde was still looking for work, a report that he was close to signing with the Marlins was almost immediately shot down and called “a typical ploy by Scott Boras.”
I bring this up because yesterday, when Valverde spoke to the Detroit media upon rejoining the Tigers, he told reporters that the Yankees and Mets were among several teams that had made him major-league contract offers that he turned down.
That seemed odd, because until two weeks ago Valverde was unemployed. And sure enough when asked about Valverde’s claim Yankees general manager Brian Cashman emphatically denied offering him a major-league deal or a minor-league deal. In fact, Cashman said “false, false, false” and explained that the Yankees never even had negotiations with Valverde. But wait, what about the Mets? Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that they didn’t make Valverde an offer either.
Who knows if Valverde was fibbing or if he was simply working off less than accurate information relayed to him by his agent, but either way … he wasn’t turning down big-league offers this offseason.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)