Apr 25, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Duane Below was claimed off waivers by the Marlins after being designated for assignment by the Tigers.
Below has a 4.06 ERA and 43/19 K/BB ratio in 75 innings as a big leaguer, but Miami will send him to Triple-A for now.
At age 27 he doesn’t have much upside, but Below is a left-handed starter with some decent numbers in the minors who’s held his own in the majors. Going from the rotation-rich Tigers to the talent-starved Marlins is probably a good career move for Below.
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 1
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 19
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 346
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 81
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 53
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (180)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)