Apr 25, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Duane Below was claimed off waivers by the Marlins after being designated for assignment by the Tigers.
Below has a 4.06 ERA and 43/19 K/BB ratio in 75 innings as a big leaguer, but Miami will send him to Triple-A for now.
At age 27 he doesn’t have much upside, but Below is a left-handed starter with some decent numbers in the minors who’s held his own in the majors. Going from the rotation-rich Tigers to the talent-starved Marlins is probably a good career move for Below.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69