Apr 25, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
Rick Camp, who provided swingman duties for the Braves from 1976-1985 died today. He was 59. Camp had a career record of 56-49 with an above average ERA of 3.37. Not bad considering his strikeout rates were always low.
Camp is remembered for two things, primarily. The first one being his 2005 criminal conviction for attempting to defraud a mental institution. Which, hey, he did the time so let’s let that slide now that he is warming up in the Great Bullpen in the Sky.
The second was way better: On July 4, 1985 Camp, an awful hitter, even by pitcher standards, hit a game-tying home run in the 18th inning of a rain-delayed game against the Mets. Unfortunately the game went 19 innings, Camp coughed up five runs in the top of the final frame and got the loss. The game ended at 4AM. But even though he lost, man, that’s a humdinger of a game, ain’t it?
Here are highlights from that game. And get this: John Sterling called the homer right before he hit it, more or less.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)