Apr 25, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
The Rockies just announced that first baseman Todd Helton was placed on the 15-day disabled list with left forearm inflammation. The 39-year-old hasn’t played since last Friday, so the Rockies didn’t want to go short-handed on their roster any longer.
Ryan Wheeler, who was acquired from the Diamondbacks over the winter in exchange for left-hander Matt Reynolds, has been called up to take Helton’s place on the roster and will offer depth at first base and the hot corner. The 24-year-old batted .239/.294/.339 with one home run, 10 RBI and a .634 OPS over 119 plate appearances as a rookie last season. He was hitting .348/.407/.565 with two home runs, 16 RBI and a .973 OPS over his first 15 games this season in Triple-A.
Some speculated that Tyler Colvin would get the call if Helton required a stint on the disabled list, but he’ll remain in Triple-A for now. The 27-year-old is hitting .309 (17-for-55) with four home runs, eight RBI and a .963 OPS over his first 15 games with the Sky Sox this season. He batted .290/.327/.531 with 18 home runs, 72 RBI and an .858 OPS in 136 games with the Rockies last year.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 28
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 191
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)