Apr 25, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
The Rockies just announced that first baseman Todd Helton was placed on the 15-day disabled list with left forearm inflammation. The 39-year-old hasn’t played since last Friday, so the Rockies didn’t want to go short-handed on their roster any longer.
Ryan Wheeler, who was acquired from the Diamondbacks over the winter in exchange for left-hander Matt Reynolds, has been called up to take Helton’s place on the roster and will offer depth at first base and the hot corner. The 24-year-old batted .239/.294/.339 with one home run, 10 RBI and a .634 OPS over 119 plate appearances as a rookie last season. He was hitting .348/.407/.565 with two home runs, 16 RBI and a .973 OPS over his first 15 games this season in Triple-A.
Some speculated that Tyler Colvin would get the call if Helton required a stint on the disabled list, but he’ll remain in Triple-A for now. The 27-year-old is hitting .309 (17-for-55) with four home runs, eight RBI and a .963 OPS over his first 15 games with the Sky Sox this season. He batted .290/.327/.531 with 18 home runs, 72 RBI and an .858 OPS in 136 games with the Rockies last year.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (239)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)