Apr 25, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
The Rockies just announced that first baseman Todd Helton was placed on the 15-day disabled list with left forearm inflammation. The 39-year-old hasn’t played since last Friday, so the Rockies didn’t want to go short-handed on their roster any longer.
Ryan Wheeler, who was acquired from the Diamondbacks over the winter in exchange for left-hander Matt Reynolds, has been called up to take Helton’s place on the roster and will offer depth at first base and the hot corner. The 24-year-old batted .239/.294/.339 with one home run, 10 RBI and a .634 OPS over 119 plate appearances as a rookie last season. He was hitting .348/.407/.565 with two home runs, 16 RBI and a .973 OPS over his first 15 games this season in Triple-A.
Some speculated that Tyler Colvin would get the call if Helton required a stint on the disabled list, but he’ll remain in Triple-A for now. The 27-year-old is hitting .309 (17-for-55) with four home runs, eight RBI and a .963 OPS over his first 15 games with the Sky Sox this season. He batted .290/.327/.531 with 18 home runs, 72 RBI and an .858 OPS in 136 games with the Rockies last year.
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 4
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 160
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (160)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)