Apr 25, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
According to Casey Pratt of CSNBayArea.com, Yoenis Cespedes will begin a minor league rehab assignment this evening with Triple-A Sacramento. The Cuban outfielder hasn’t played since April 12 due to a strained muscle in his left hand, but he was cleared for game action after he through batting practice earlier this week with no issues.
Cespedes’ rehab assignment doesn’t figure to be a lengthy one. He’s eligible to return for Sunday’s series finale against the Orioles and there’s a good chance he’ll be ready by then as long as he can avoid a setback.
Cespedes was batting .200 (8-for-40) with three home runs and seven RBI in 11 games prior to the injury. The Athletics are off to a 13-9 start this season, but they have lost seven out of 12 games without him.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)