Apr 25, 2013, 7:10 PM EST
According to Casey Pratt of CSNBayArea.com, Yoenis Cespedes will begin a minor league rehab assignment this evening with Triple-A Sacramento. The Cuban outfielder hasn’t played since April 12 due to a strained muscle in his left hand, but he was cleared for game action after he through batting practice earlier this week with no issues.
Cespedes’ rehab assignment doesn’t figure to be a lengthy one. He’s eligible to return for Sunday’s series finale against the Orioles and there’s a good chance he’ll be ready by then as long as he can avoid a setback.
Cespedes was batting .200 (8-for-40) with three home runs and seven RBI in 11 games prior to the injury. The Athletics are off to a 13-9 start this season, but they have lost seven out of 12 games without him.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)