Adam Dunn: “people would be batting .400″ if batting averages weren’t reported

Apr 26, 2013, 8:45 PM EST

Minnesota Twins v Chicago White Sox Getty Images

MLB.com’s Anthony Castrovince reported on the Blue Jays’ use of a “performance coach” who professes that “batting average is Satan”. Somehow, that isn’t the most interesting quote in the article. In talking about how fans and players have moved further and further away from their reliance on batting average, Adam Dunn‘s name inevitably came up. The White Sox slugger is hitting a cool .108 on the season and has hit a combined .184 over 2011-12, but contends that some of that is due to the pressure placed upon him when his batting average is reported in the media and flashed on scoreboards.

“I’m telling you,” said Adam Dunn, whose batting average has dropped in recent seasons, “if people didn’t post people’s batting averages on the scoreboard or in the media, people would be batting .400. I’m serious. I believe that. You look at Spring Training, and I know it’s a small sample, but you’ve got guys hitting .500 in 50-60 at-bats. They know they’re hitting good, but they don’t know what they’re hitting.”

Dunn has never even hit .270 in his career, let alone .400, but I think even he would agree that his batting average wouldn’t come close to .400 if the stat became invisible. The more spurious thought is that someone like Tony Gwynn, a career .338 hitter who flirted with .400 in 1994, was one national media habit away from history.

1. flamethrower101 - Apr 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Oh yes, like we’re going to take seriously a guy hitting near .100 for the year on the topic of batting averages. Yes, because that makes perfect sense.

2. ptfu - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Adam Dunn’s batting average is so small it’s nearly invisible already.

Okay, I’ll show myself out.

3. andrewproughcfe - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:10 PM

The media should get over its fascination with a meaningless number, associated only with players whose stats were substantially padded because they never had to play against the best players of their time due to the color of their skin.

4. jcmeyer10 - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I get what he’s saying but that just feels like an excuse.

• baseballisboring - Apr 27, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Can you really interpret it any other way? I mean yeah, I do get what he’s saying, but I’d think most professional athletes are “mentally tough” enough to handle a little bit of media attention. I mean, you’ve never heard Ryan Braun or Miguel Cabrera complain about it…

5. thomas844 - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM

People batting .400 means Dunn would be somewhere between .250-.275

• baseballisboring - Apr 27, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I say we stop reporting ERA too. That way every pitcher can have a 1.50 ERA, and everyone can hit .400 too! Erm…wait…

6. hittfamily - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:31 PM

His tWtW is 8 points higher than his tWtH4HA (the will to hit for high average). Sometimes you just gotta strikeout 4 times a game to help the team win.in the W column.

• conjecture101 - Apr 27, 2013 at 1:08 AM

are you just gonna go from post to post making bad hawk harrelson jokes?

• jwbiii - Apr 27, 2013 at 10:26 AM

J.P. Ricciardi, who said that Adam Dunn lacked TWTW&reg:

was fired because of sabermetrics.

• jwbiii - Apr 27, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Eh, ®

7. mybrunoblog - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:31 PM

And right after those comments Dunn put down his joint, looked over to his buddies and said “This is great weed bro, damn I’m hungry who wants to get White Castle?”

8. edwardemanuelson - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:32 PM

He gone!

9. captaincanoe - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:51 PM

“Hi honey, how was your day”?
    “Not bad, I think I was 4 for 5 with one or two HRs. I must be hitting like .425 or something like that but we don’t keep track anymore.”

10. jcmeyer10 - Apr 26, 2013 at 11:50 PM

This is him posturing for his next contract.

“Don’t pay attention to my BA, Sabermetric guys say the only number that matters is, whatever I am excelling at. I’ll take my salary in it’s entirety now”,

11. coryfor3 - Apr 26, 2013 at 11:53 PM

People might be hitting .400. Dunn would still not be one of them.

12. Samuel - Apr 27, 2013 at 3:15 AM

Reblogged this on But at the end of the day… and commented:
    He’s not crazy because he’s right. It’s all in your head!

13. hornbuckle - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:23 AM

And I remember the when the Cincinnati media didn’t want to trade the big donkey because “you can’t replace home runs”. He was fun to watch field fly balls in left though, at least for the opposing team.

• jwbiii - Apr 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM

The Dunn/Griffey/Kearns outfield was about as bad as I have seen. And then they went and hired flyball pitchers. Yikes!

14. blacksables - Apr 27, 2013 at 4:47 AM

What history would Gwynn have made?

15. rlj2170 - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:05 AM

what is constantly in Dunns head is the embarrassment of taking such a huge contract and not living up to it

16. baseballisboring - Apr 27, 2013 at 8:38 AM

There’s just so much fail in this statement. For one, yes, you said it yourself, 50 at bats in spring training is a VERY small sample, not to mention you’re facing a lot of prospects, fringe major leaguers, and established guys working on new pitches and stuff. And uh…guys DO hit poorly in spring training too, you know. Not everyone hits .400 in ST. Mr. Dunn, you’re hitting .108 because you’re past your prime. You’ve accomplished far more in the major leagues than I ever will, but let’s be real. No one’s buying that excuse.

17. rbj1 - Apr 27, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Finally, it took Adam Dunn, but at least someone brought the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle to baseball.

18. ndrick731 - Apr 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Well I guess we are all entitled to our opinion no matter how stupid and illogical it may be.

19. albertmn - Apr 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM

So, I guess I’d be making a million bucks a year if I’d quit looking at my paycheck every two weeks…..

20. lostsok - Apr 28, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Maybe for the batting title we should just give all hitters a blue ribbon with “Participation” on it like we did for “track” in the 4th grade.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5894)