And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and hightlights

Apr 26, 2013, 6:04 AM EST

Kansas City Royals v Detroit Tigers Getty Images

Royals 8, Tigers 3: You can try to make Phil Coke a multi-inning reliever all you want, but he’s still going to be a lefty specialist. And when he comes in and has trouble even getting the lefties out, you can’t stick with him. He’s not the one who gave up the grand slam to Alex Gordon, but he set the stage. Well, that and Jim Leyland intentionally walking Jeff Francouer, but the outcome was all but set when that happened. We were just waiting for it to finish playing out.

Pirates 6, Phillies 4: Hey, did you realize that Pittsburgh was 13-9? It’s true. They’re winners of 10 of 13. Gaby Sanchez homered and drove in three. The Phillies dropped their first home series against the Pirates in over a decade.

Red Sox 7, Astros 2: Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL David Ortiz! The Sox’ DH was 3 for 4 with a homer and an RBI single. He’s 11 for 20 since coming off the DL. Clay Buchholz struck out ten while pitching into the eighth. Daniel Bard made his 2013 debut, striking out one in a scoreless inning. Oh, and alert the media and/or relevant first responders: Rick Ankiel drew a walk. His first of the year.

Dodgers 3, Mets 2: Hyun-Jin Ryu had a nice performance, holding the Mets to one run on three hits in seven innings while striking out eight. Andre Ethier broke a 1-1 tie in the ninth with an RBI single, followed up by Juan Uribe putting the Dodgers ahead with a single of his own.

Yankees 5, Blue Jays 3: Robinson Cano, Vernon Wells and Frankie Cervelli went deep. The Yankees were down 3-0 early, but Hiroki Kuroda settled down after that and waited for the bats to boom. A record low crowd for Yankee Stadium. Which is kind of a shame, actually. This Yankees team isn’t what people are accustomed to, but it’s kinda cool seeing contributions from different faces and names in pinstripes. If nothing else, people should be bearing witness to a resurrection: Vernon Wells is hitting .293/.361/.587 with six homers on the year.

Nationals 8, Reds 1: If the bats are gonna sleep, it’s up to the pitchers. That’s what Gio Gonzalez must’ve figured, as he allowed only one hit — a Joey Votto solo shot — in eight innings. Except the bats did show up, actually, with the Nats rattling off a dozen hits, including a Danny Espinosa two-run homer and RBI double. Denard Span drove in three as well.

White Sox 5, Rays 2: Chris Sale walked four dudes, but allowed only two runs and four hits in seven innings. Adam Dunn homered. Life is more fun when Adam Dunn homers. He’s now hitting a crisp .108 on the year.

Cubs 4, Marlins 3: It’s 2013. Terrorism, war and ecological destruction ravage the planet. Still, I’m gonna offer that a Cubs-Marlins series is the worst thing affecting humankind at the moment. Luis Valbuena hit the go-ahead homer in the ninth. Afterwards he said “Ninth inning, two outs, I tried to hit a home run. I didn’t want to play extra innings.” I don’t think any of us wanted to see it either, Luis. Give that man a humanitarian award.

Rangers 2, Twins 1: Nick Tepesch allowed five hits in six and two-thirds, with a solo homer to Josh Willingham the only blight on the box score. The Twins’ best chance to get even or better ended, however, when Willingham hit into a bases-loaded double play in the eighth. Selah.

Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 2: Paul Goldschmidt with a two-run homer helped a not-great but good enough Trevor Cahill, who notched his first W of the year.

Orioles 10, Athletics 2: Nate McLouth singled, doubled, walked and drove in two. Chris Davis homered. Adam Jones had three hits. All nine starters got a hit and six different O’s drove in a run. The A’s have dropped six of seven.

Mariners 6, Angels 0: The Mariners’ sleepy bats woke up. Including Carlos Peguero’s, whose bat hit a 450+ foot homer, adjudged the third longest in Safeco Field history. Kyle Saeger has a 14 game hitting streak. As for Anaheim, I’m not wishing any ill-happenings for anyone, but I’m still liking my “Mike Scioscia is the first manager fired this year” prediction.

1. hittfamily - Apr 26, 2013 at 6:13 AM

HBT Community,

On Wednesday, I made a terrible mistake. I made a joke regarding rape, and I am truthfully sorry. It wasn’t funny. It was petty and ignorant.

In the thread where Alfredo Aceves was DFA’d, someone made the joke “This is worse than anything Curt Schilling ever did to Rhode Island.” I followed that up with a joke about Ben Roethlisberger. Although the joke was intended to make the Sox, Aceves and Roethlisberger look bad, I only succeeded in making myself look bad. It was not well thought out, and not something I usually think is funny. It was in poor taste, and did not represent my morals or what I think is funny. It was not childish. It foolish, wasn’t funny, and was flat out in bad taste.

This is not a Cepts situation where I have been banned, and have to issue an apology. It is just me being remorseful for something I said. I have been contributing to this forum for 3 years, and really enjoy the comradery of loving talking about baseball. I have a lot of respect for many of you, and would like all to know I am truthfully ashamed of my 10 second “I can 1 up him” moment. Ususally I am just a Rays homer. Wednesday, I was a butthole.

Sorry.

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 26, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Thanks hit. It’s all good.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM

That apology makes me feel icky.

• mybrunoblog - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Since when do people apologize for anonymous comments on an Internet blog? Dude, don’t take this the wrong way but nobody who posts here knows you or probably even cares who you are. Let it go, this stuff doesn’t matter. Post your comments and move on.
      If you keep thinking Internet blogs are important you could end up divorced and living in your parents basement at age 40.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:48 AM

What would be the right way to take your comment? I’m wondering what could make someone a big enough co-bag to slam someone for apologizing for hurtful comments? You should take a long look in the mirror bruno, and try to figure out what makes you such a mean, sad, hurtful person..

• Ben - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Meh, on the one hand you’re right. On the other, there’s a community here, and it’s pretty cool.
        In either case, he did the right thing, even if he had his internet Ring of Gyges on.

• historiophiliac - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Yeah, we don’t want any stinking decency here! This is the internet. We won’t have any aberrant pockets of civility here. Bring on the trolls!!!!!

• Old Gator - Apr 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Isn’t that a Sondheim song?

• paperlions - Apr 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I appreciate the apology. I think the sense of community here is the reason that such apologies seem appropriate here, whereas they may not on other blogs. People make mistakes. You can’t really ask for more than they recognize it, apologize for it, and learn from it.

• moogro - Apr 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I like the virtually gutsy apology idea. It was like eating a deliciously prepared cinnamon roll with coffee, you know, something to really start your day with a smile. Until the last bite, which tasted like shite. Mister, don’t end a good apology with a childish word like “butthole.” You almost made it.

2. kcrobert10 - Apr 26, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Royals still in 1st place now time to beat up the tribe at the k. Go royals go.

3. lyon810 - Apr 26, 2013 at 7:00 AM

As a longtime Angels fan I’ve wanted Scioscia give for a few years now. I love what a fellow user said on this very message board a few weeks back regarding Scioscia: “No one does less with more”

• dan1111 - Apr 26, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Admittedly, I don’t follow the Angels closely, but I am skeptical of this. When have the Angels under-performed their talent level?

My perception of them is that they have usually been a good, but flawed team in recent years. They have most often had good (though not outstanding) pitching, coupled with rather punchless hitting. They have also taken on some older, big-name players recently (and experienced Vlad’s decline), which may create the impression that they are under-performing, even if it is just the effect of aging.

Pythagorean record is not a perfect statistic, but it is one of the few measurable things that could be seen as a gauge of a manager’s performance. The Angels have outperformed their pythagorean record for an incredible 9 years in a row (and significantly outperformed it overall for Scioscia’s tenure).

4. kiwicricket - Apr 26, 2013 at 7:02 AM

I keep sitting, waiting wishing for Scioscia to be fired, but then remember that he was inexplicably signed to a 10yr extension which runs through 2018.

The Angels just love those 10yr contracts, huh

• dan1111 - Apr 26, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Look on the bright side: it’s far from the worst contract they have.

5. Old Gator - Apr 26, 2013 at 7:39 AM

The most inhumane thing about last night’s Feesh-Cubs ladies’s mud wrestling Santeria church fundraiser was the horrifying spectacle of the Iron Giant’s last at-bat against Marmoset, or whatever he his name is. He was chasing pitches off the plate like a marinated middle aged fat balding accounting department manager chasing secretaries at an office party. He struck out swinging with the tying and go-ahead runs on base, probably thinking that it would be an utter humiliation if Luis Valbuena could go up there meaning to hit the game winning home run and he couldn’t. He was right. It’s lucky that Tommy is painted the way he is or you could see where he threw up on himself.

Kevin Slowey guts out another creditable performance and gets nothing for it. Steve Cishek serves up yet another apocalyptic tater, this one filled with broccoli, cheese and bacon bits. Somewhere in the herniated bowels of Macondo Banana Massacre field, Cishek was telling an imaginary spawrtsrighter that he wasn’t doing his job. Yes, imaginary. No one was really there.

I haven’t checked the attendance for last night. Anyone blame me?

• wlschneider09 - Apr 26, 2013 at 7:46 AM

” ladies’s mud wrestling Santeria church fundraiser”

There’s a phrase I wasn’t expecting to encounter until next Easter.

• Old Gator - Apr 26, 2013 at 8:29 AM

If you lived here, you’d have invitations to the local ones in your mailbox about once a month. You can throw the chicken foot away, too.

• historiophiliac - Apr 26, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Leave Tommy alone!

• Old Gator - Apr 26, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Okay, I gave in – the curiosity was just too much for me. I checked the attendance. Fifteen grand and change. Not bad for a beautiful Thursday night with a breeze, a sliver of moon in the sky, shimmering stars and a marquee visiting team (in the sense that they put up Plan Nine from Outer Space on the marquee during its four-day national run in the theaters, you know?).

Subtract the season incarcerates who couldn’t get out of their two or three year teecket obligations. Subtract the freebies given out but unused. Subtract the Grubs fans (oops, sorry about the typo). Now you have a number that actually looks like the stands did last night. If blue is your favorite color, a free night at Macondo Banana Massacre Field as the guest of the galley slaves in the Feesh marketing department is for you. There’s a box on a pole out front of the stadium that looks like a bird feeder but it’s where the Feesh leave their free tickets for today’s game.

• kalinedrive - Apr 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM

A sliver of moon in the sky? Last night was a full moon, which explains why I was at a drum circle in Hollywood’s Arts Park (nee Young Circle). Cold hearted orb that rules the night and all that, bad moon on the rise, lunatics and werewolves let loose, surely you could work something in besides a sliver.

• Old Gator - Apr 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM

As soon as the Cuban national baseball team defectors bobbing in the Gulf Stream hear those drums, they start paddling in that direction as hard as they can, hoping to get those truck tires onto the beach before the Coast Guard spots them and just in time to meet their agents.

Full moon? Okay, that explains why I woke up in the bushes across the street from Macondo Banana Massacre field this morning with my pants torn, my shirt ripped, all the buttons popped off, goat on my breath, and couldn’t remember how I got there.

• nukeladouche - Apr 26, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Appearing tonight:

PUPPET SHOW

Marlins game.

• Old Gator - Apr 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Like they say of the margheritas they serve you in the Clevelander swimming pool out beyond the left field wall, not bad, but not delicious.

6. historiophiliac - Apr 26, 2013 at 7:50 AM

It’s like 2012 is gum we stepped in and can’t get off our shoe. We made improvements and there seemed to be momentum to build this year…and a month in it feels like last season. We have the same problem in the last couple of innings. We have the same problem in LF. And, again, Leyland seems like a prophet sent to give us lessons in unconditional love. That dude is a chain-smoking, f-bomb dropping, mustaschioed lip-pursing, patience-of-Job having, G– D– manager of faith.

• indaburg - Apr 26, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Amen, hallelujah, Brother Leyland.

The Tigers confound me. On paper, they are too good to have this record.

• natslady - Apr 26, 2013 at 8:59 AM

An echo in the room. Tigers. Nats. (sigh)

Thank you, Cubbies, for wearing out the Reds.

BTW, Happy Birthday, Danny Espinosa! How about doing that (double, HR) on a few other days, like maybe a lotta other days.

• historiophiliac - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM

This is the thing from last year: you beat a good team and then lose to the Royals and Twins (no offense). WTH? I have to repeatedly check the standings to talk myself down. The numbers reassure me. It’s not that bad. It was just a bad game — only the bad games are embarrassingly bad. It’s quantity, not quality though — thankfully.

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 26, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Double double toil and trouble?

Nah, it’s still only April, afterall. Let the soothsayer Leyland do his thing.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 26, 2013 at 8:59 AM

You have Rick Porcello, Brayan Villareal, Octavio Dotel, the immortal Phil Coke, and now reverse-closer-in-waiting Bruce Rondon to thank for your record. Leyland seems more like a huckster revivalist preacher of the rattlesnake-wrangling and relief pitching-denial type.

• historiophiliac - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Phil Coke is a litmus test to find out if people are bandwagon fans or not. What kills me is that when we don’t win, people pile on Miggy or Fielder for it. Hilarious.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Funny – I would have set that particular ph level at “Brandon Inge.” But to each their own I suppose.

• historiophiliac - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:47 AM

No, Brandon Inge fans are too basic to chart. People who like Coke just joined the season already in progress during the post-season.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I totally misunderstood your comment.

You mean Phil Coke has FANS?!

• historiophiliac - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Exactly. Crazy, right? (and not just the mustache, although my baseball buds are big on that)

• kcrobert10 - Apr 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM

You guys have missed one thing god has decided that us poor long suffering royals fans finally are going to get to win. I remember when the tigers loss 110 plus games. Now try that with the royals only add like 18 of the last 20 seasons being losers. No playoffs since the 85 ws meanwhile every team in our division has been to the ws. So my point is cry all you want but feel good that a long suffering fan base is finally get its season in the sun.

• historiophiliac - Apr 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Seriously? Um, how long did we suck? We are hungry for a World Series win. Not hating on the Royals; as we have been in the same boat for a long time. I just wanna make it to the finish line for once. You have all my sympathy, really. You should appreciate why we want to clinch it finally.

7. blacksables - Apr 26, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Cubs vs Marlins, yet people here mocked the Wbc as not being real baseball.

• thomas844 - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Ten years ago those were the best two teams in the NL lol

• Old Gator - Apr 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Yeah. Stepping out the front door this morning, I felt like I just moved here from Brigadoon.

• jwbiii - Apr 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM

And ten years ago I was ten years younger. Neither of these things are true now.

8. indaburg - Apr 26, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Hellboy looked, well, hellish for the bit of last night’s Rays game that I watched before passing out. He made my bud cur look smart. He couldn’t locate his pitches and threw more than one right smack down the middle that should have been crushed. I am surprised the score was only 5-2.

9. ryanrockzzz - Apr 26, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Man…the Phillies really stink this year.

• abaird2012 - Apr 26, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Yeah, but you must at least be pleased that Halladay seems to be righting the ship.

10. dirtyharry1971 - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:11 AM

How about those 9-14 Bluejays? Yea just brings a smile to your face doesnt it? Anyway id like to be the first to say welcome to the American League East Mark Buehrle!!! Very impressive numbers Mark has after 5 starts but the one that really has me excited in the Home Runs Allowed!! I really think if Mark puts his mind to it he can win the Home Run title in the AL this year!!! And if any of the Yankees are in the home run derby at the all star break i bet ya they will ask if Mark is available for the contest.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM

If the Jays continue to tank this season and any of the players they traded to the Marlins for that group of veterans pans out- is it possible that Gator’s boy Loria might be regarded as a baseball genius?

• Old Gator - Apr 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Nope.

11. spudchukar - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:17 AM

The third place Cincinnati Reds. Life is a little tougher when you aren’t at home vs. patsies like the Cubs and Marlins. The third place Cincinnati Reds. Gotta love it.

12. sportsdrenched - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Ya’ll keep an eye out for that ball Alex Gordon hit in the tenth of that Tigers-Royals game it should come down any moment.

13. pdowdy83 - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Rick Ankiel is just one of those guys who I have an irrational love for as a ballplayer. I know he isn’t very good but I still have to pull for him to have another season like his 2008 season. Not to mention I want him to make it the entire year in Houston just to see what his K/BB rate ends up being across 500 or so PAs.

14. uyf1950 - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Who needs Russell Martin when you have Cervelli? Not the Yankees.

15. uyf1950 - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Who needs Swisher when you have Wells? Not the Yankees.

16. mudhead123 - Apr 26, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Did they really praise the Red Sox for beating the worst team in the AL?

17. Gamera the Brave - Apr 26, 2013 at 10:30 AM

“Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL David Ortiz!”

Craig, it totally pisses me off that that line made me laugh.
    I hate you. Okay, not really, but kinda sorta right now…

18. randygnyc - Apr 26, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Gator- the “sliver of moon” has me confounded. My daughter this very morning showed me a picture she took last night while out walking through manhattan with my wife. She was very proud to show me her pic of what she claimed was a full moon. It was enormous. So, was your comment a bit of artistic liberty, or is it possible you were looking at an airplane?

• Old Gator - Apr 26, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Artistic liberty. Usually, when a full moon is predicted, I have myself manacled in the basement until the sun comes up. See if you can guess why.

• Old Gator - Apr 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Or no, I was looking at it from the side.

Nyuknyuknyuk….

• Old Gator - Apr 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Or better yet, this line from Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein:

Larry Talbot: You don’t understand! When the moon is full, I turn into a wolf!

Lou Costello: Yeah, you and six million other guys.

19. uyf1950 - Apr 26, 2013 at 10:39 AM

It seems like Cervelli can’t even get any respect by Craig. In the Yankees/Jays summary above Cano, Wells and Kuroda names are all in bold type and meant to stand out. And Cervelli’s name in regular type face to blend in the rest of the copy. I’m surprised that time was taken to capitalize the first letter of his first and last name. Just kidding, it is nice to show my more humorous side every once in a while.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 26, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I don’t think Craig likes I-Talians very much.

20. APBA Guy - Apr 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM

This is a serious case of PASS (Post Astros Series Syndrome) that the A’s have, which coincides with them playing teams with very good pitching (except for Aceves, who should be immediately traded to the Astros).

Right now I’d say Parker is the front runner for A’s Pitcher Most Likely To Regress, but he has competition. The whispers among the ex big league community I have ties into are that Beane rides his young pitchers too hard. This current crop he didn’t ride as hard as the Big Three from 10 years ago, but all of them passed the Verducci effect threshold for 20% innings bump from 2011 to 2012.

Having said that, none of them (the young pitchers) look injured, which is good, but all of them are showing command issues. The sample size is small. But giving up 10 runs in the Mausoleum is troubling:

Parker 8.10 ERA
    Griffin 4.50
    Milone 4.26

In addition Mr. Anderson is at 7.23

That’s not good. No one expects the 40 year old (next month) Bartolo Colon to hold up for the entire year. Another 150 innings is about what we can hope for. Therefore it’s essential that the A’s figure out whether their young starters need reinforcing from AAA or they just need to pitch through this patch. Curt Young is the man, but the A’s don’t play Houston again for another 30 days.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4693)
  2. M. Kemp (3727)
  3. M. Cabrera (2923)
  4. J. Kang (2759)
  5. J. Upton (2624)
  1. M. Morse (2618)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2298)
  3. A. Rios (2271)