Apr 26, 2013, 9:48 PM EDT
With all due respect to Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann, the author of a one-hit shutout against the Cincinnati Reds, Anibal Sanchez was tonight’s best pitcher. The right-hander, who signed a five-year, $80 million contract with the Tigers back in December, shut out the Braves with a franchise record 17 strikeouts over eight innings.
The Braves entered the night with the fifth-best offense in the National League averaging 4.6 runs per game with a league-best 35 home runs, but Sanchez kept the Braves’ bats silent with masterful pitching from start to finish, allowing only five hits and one walk. It also didn’t hurt that the Tigers spotted him a ten-run cushion with a four-run third and six-run fourth.
Sanchez tied Mickey Lolich’s Tigers club record for strikeouts in a nine-inning game (16) when he got Reed Johnson to strike out swinging for the second out in the eighth.
Tigers manager Jim Leyland opted to use Bruce Rondon in the ninth rather than allow Sanchez to finish his masterpiece. However, Sanchez was 121 pitches, so it is justifiable.
The last pitcher to strike out 17 or more batters was Brandon Morrow, who tossed a one-hit shut-out with 17 punch-outs against the Tampa Bay Rays on August 8, 2010. Others to do it in the 2000’s include Johan Santana (2007), Ben Sheets (2004), Randy Johnson (twice in 2002, once in 2001), Curt Schilling (2002), and Pedro Martinez (2000).
Sep 2, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Cabrera signed a minor league deal with San Francisco in mid-July after getting released by the Orioles.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
He said the job he did was “masterful.” You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:07 PM EDT
Left-hander Tyler Lyons will start in Wacha’s place against the Nationals.
Sep 2, 2015, 4:31 PM EDT
Franco has had a fantastic rookie season.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
“He’s our closer . . . Rooooosebuuuuuudddd”
Sep 2, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
64/4 K/BB ratio in 60 innings.
Sep 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
And, I would guess, it wont be such serious business here after a few years either.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:31 AM EDT
Of course their biggest problem is not going anyplace, as he owns the team.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT
Miguel Sano statistical porn.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
A picture of A-Rod from yesterday — not this one — seems to be the tiebreaker here.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Getting healthy for October is the focus.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:51 AM EDT
He caught Kevin Quackenbush napping. Almost literally napping.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:37 AM EDT
A great catch and an extra innings walkoff homer.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Its like watching a car crash. No, wait: a tricycle accident.
Sep 2, 2015, 7:04 AM EDT
Was this a . . . statement game?
Sep 1, 2015, 11:34 PM EDT
Would it endanger or enlighten Berrios’ career to give him a few starts in a postseason race?
Sep 1, 2015, 10:49 PM EDT
It was Cal Ripken Jr. Night on Tuesday at Baltimore’s Camden Yards, with the Orioles celebrating the 20th anniversary of Ripken taking over Lou Gehrig’s record for consecutive games played …
Sep 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Stanton has been on the disabled list since June 27 because of a broken hamate bone in his right hand.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
And he did it on the night the O’s are celebrating the 20th anniversary of Cal Ripken breaking Lou Gehrig’s record for consecutive games played.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York shares the plan …
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 39
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 25
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 77
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)