Biogenesis used forged prescriptions to get PEDs to athletes

Apr 26, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT

alex rodriguez getty wide Getty Images

ESPN’s Outside the Lines reports the latest in the Biogenesis saga:

Anthony Bosch, the self-described biochemist who operated a series of wellness clinics, used prescription forms that contained forged signatures, stamped with the names and license numbers of legitimate physicians who apparently were unaware of the scheme, sources and documents indicate. Those drugs were prescribed to Bosch’s friends and associates and then delivered to professional athletes in order to avoid a paper trail, sources said.

Not surprising at all given what we know of Anthony Bosch. But with felony charges now potentially hovering over him, perhaps he’s more likely to throw people — and maybe players — under the bus. ¬†Or, alternatively, government officials may approach players to get the goods on Bosch.

1. rbj1 - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I wonder if the federales will want to get involved now.

2. flamethrower101 - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM

I am going to ask a very serious question about this very sensitive topic: Who actually gives a damn about it?

3. flamethrower101 - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM

4. randygnyc - Apr 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM

This just went from 0-60 in record time. Bud must be orgasmic. The dirty players, not so much. This is worth keep tabs on, now.

5. 13arod - Apr 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM

so there is a chance of the althelths beging not guiltiy

• Ralph - Apr 26, 2013 at 7:29 PM

What?? Seriously, what are you trying to say?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 26, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Taking a wild guess here, but I think he can’t read and doesn’t understand that Biogenesis was forging DOCTOR’S names, not ATHLETE’S names, on the prescription cards. The players who allegedly did business still allegedly did business with the clinic. The doctors who were “prescribing” the drugs weren’t aware of it.

6. Old Gator - Apr 26, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I needed my Bufogenesis scandal fix. Why isn’t this on the covers of the tabloids when I check out at Publix? Why do I have to keep optically ingesting articles about Princess Kate’s boobs or Kim Kardashian’s newfound bloat?

7. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 26, 2013 at 6:39 PM

If he does start talking can MLB suspend guys he names? Having PED’s in their posession doesn’t prove they used them. And I’m not stupid, I’m sure any guys he names did in fact use them but does MLB need an actual positive test to punish or can they punish on a pretty good suspicion?

• flamethrower101 - Apr 26, 2013 at 8:05 PM

True having PED’s in possession doesn’t prove they used them. But if I’m correct, the Drug Prevention Agreement states MLB can suspend guys who are simply in possession of PED’s. I may be wrong, though. Otherwise, why would they go through this much trouble for these documents.

• badintent - Apr 27, 2013 at 1:38 AM

The crazy thing is anyone can buy HGH legally in LA wellness clinic with a legit doc prescription.Go watch the flix Bigger , Stronger, , Faster. So why all the backdown, hocus pocus BS ?
      The U.S. Anti-Doping and WADA both have plenty of tests to detect any and all bad stuff. Will Bud and MLB spend the $$$ to pay for the testing is the real question.

8. randygnyc - Apr 26, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Would witness testimony be enough to convict these players for receiving controlled substances, illegally?

• Old Gator - Apr 26, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I think we’ve covered this territory as often as a playground being covered by a high school junior looking for her lost nipple ring. Yes, they can – the CBA acknowledges “probable cause” to suspend a player.

9. illegalblues - Apr 26, 2013 at 6:56 PM

biogenesis event a possible false flag???? where does alex jones stand on this

10. onbucky96 - Apr 26, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Great. Just about the time Hart and Ramirez get back we’ll lose Braun for 50 games.

11. rcali - Apr 26, 2013 at 8:15 PM

That future “Steriod Wing” at the hall of fame is going to need a second floor when were done with this one. Anyone else still amazed that Braun got away clean….actually clean is an interesting word here. I know, I know, thumbs down from the people with their head in the sand.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 26, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I need to make this comment like F12 on my keyboard:

Players have been cheating in baseball since its inception. What makes the current crop of players so much worse than everyone else?

• Old Gator - Apr 26, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Fashion.

12. rangermania - Apr 26, 2013 at 11:14 PM

So maybe the players can’t read or understand the doctors names on their scripts they never knew or had treatment from? Hello. All the parties knew exactly what was going on – maybe even including the forged doctors names. Now nobody knows anybody.

• Old Gator - Apr 26, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Not that well.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5567)