Apr 26, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: So much for McCann potentially coming off the disabled list early next week, as manager Fredi Gonzalez told Mark Bowman of MLB.com that the plan is for his minor-league rehab stint to last at least 10 games.
Brian McCann had to put his rehab from shoulder surgery on hold because of a wrist injury, but David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that the Braves catcher is feeling good enough to begin a minor-league rehab assignment tonight.
McCann will be in the lineup for high Single-A Rome and it sounds like the plan is for him to play there all weekend before potentially coming off the disabled list as soon as Monday.
McCann and the Braves have been targeting May 1 as a return date, which would be Wednesday, so it’s possible they’ll ask the catcher to put in a little more time in the minors. McCann hit just .219 with a .653 OPS in the second half last season while playing through the shoulder pain, finishing with a career-worst .698 OPS after four straight seasons above .800.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (158)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)