Apr 26, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: So much for McCann potentially coming off the disabled list early next week, as manager Fredi Gonzalez told Mark Bowman of MLB.com that the plan is for his minor-league rehab stint to last at least 10 games.
Brian McCann had to put his rehab from shoulder surgery on hold because of a wrist injury, but David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports that the Braves catcher is feeling good enough to begin a minor-league rehab assignment tonight.
McCann will be in the lineup for high Single-A Rome and it sounds like the plan is for him to play there all weekend before potentially coming off the disabled list as soon as Monday.
McCann and the Braves have been targeting May 1 as a return date, which would be Wednesday, so it’s possible they’ll ask the catcher to put in a little more time in the minors. McCann hit just .219 with a .653 OPS in the second half last season while playing through the shoulder pain, finishing with a career-worst .698 OPS after four straight seasons above .800.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 15
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)