Apr 26, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Matt Adams was supposed to be mostly a bench bat for the Cardinals, but he hit so well that he worked his way into the lineup as a semi-regular … only to strain his oblique muscle Sunday.
Adams hasn’t played since and today the Cardinals placed him on the disabled list, calling up infielder Jermaine Curtis from Triple-A to take his spot on the roster.
It’s a tough break for Adams, because he’s always put up huge numbers in the minors and had a hard enough time forcing his way into the lineup at age 24. And now he takes a ridiculous .542 batting average and 1.634 OPS to the DL.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 41
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 214
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (215)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)