Apr 26, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
Matt Adams was supposed to be mostly a bench bat for the Cardinals, but he hit so well that he worked his way into the lineup as a semi-regular … only to strain his oblique muscle Sunday.
Adams hasn’t played since and today the Cardinals placed him on the disabled list, calling up infielder Jermaine Curtis from Triple-A to take his spot on the roster.
It’s a tough break for Adams, because he’s always put up huge numbers in the minors and had a hard enough time forcing his way into the lineup at age 24. And now he takes a ridiculous .542 batting average and 1.634 OPS to the DL.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (112)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)