Curt Schilling wanted his video game to have “mounted combat on flying pigs.” Yet it somehow failed.
Apr 26, 2013, 2:29 PM EST
Jonathan Mahler of Bloomberg View has a story about Curt Schilling’s business failures at 38 Studios. The difference here: he found a business school case study from 2009 in which Schilling — pre-failure — was interviewed about his plans and ambitions. And once you read it, you won’t be all that surprised that it failed.
Among the highlights:
- “I wanted to make a difference in the world and take one shot at getting Bill-Gates-rich,” he told the study’s authors;
- “Schilling had no idea how much time and money it took to build the software required for such a game. And he didn’t exactly help matters by weighing in with suggestions of his own. There was, for example, that instance when he mentioned in an e- mail that it might be cool to have mounted combat on flying pigs. The design team worked on nothing else for a week.”
- He once asked the president of 38 Studios if employees got weekends off. Another time he suggested that they work 14 days straight so as not to lose their momentum.
The article paints a picture of an in-way-over-his-head megalomaniac. The only reason the company didn’t fail sooner, I assume, is because that mounted combat on flying pigs thing was a FANTASTIC IDEA. Just imagine how big a disaster this would have been if it weren’t for that.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 329
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (329)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)