Apr 26, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Justin Maxwell fractured his left hand in Tuesday’s game and the Astros announced today that he’s expected to miss 4-6 weeks. In his place the Astros have turned to prospect Robbie Grossman as their starting center fielder.
Maxwell was all about power and range, which helped cancel out a .230 batting average, .301 on-base percentage, and poor plate discipline. Grossman is a much different player, offering excellent patience at the plate and very good on-base percentages along with little power and questionable range in center field.
Long term Grossman probably doesn’t have much chance of sticking as a center fielder, but this does give him an opportunity to impress for the next month and perhaps work his way into the Astros’ plans alongside Maxwell.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)