Apr 26, 2013, 7:39 PM EDT
After Phillies starter Kyle Kendrick got Daniel Murphy for the second out of the inning in tonight’s affair in Queens, home plate umpire Brian O’Nora ran off the field suddenly. The Phillies broadcast suggested the ump might have been battling the flu, but it was soon reported in the press box at Citi Field that O’Nora had swallowed his chew. Yuck.
This ranks right up there among weird reasons baseball games have been delayed. Ahead of or behind the bees at Petco Park in 2009?
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)