Apr 26, 2013, 7:39 PM EDT
After Phillies starter Kyle Kendrick got Daniel Murphy for the second out of the inning in tonight’s affair in Queens, home plate umpire Brian O’Nora ran off the field suddenly. The Phillies broadcast suggested the ump might have been battling the flu, but it was soon reported in the press box at Citi Field that O’Nora had swallowed his chew. Yuck.
This ranks right up there among weird reasons baseball games have been delayed. Ahead of or behind the bees at Petco Park in 2009?
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 86
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 55
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 149
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 11
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (150)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)