Apr 26, 2013, 7:39 PM EDT
After Phillies starter Kyle Kendrick got Daniel Murphy for the second out of the inning in tonight’s affair in Queens, home plate umpire Brian O’Nora ran off the field suddenly. The Phillies broadcast suggested the ump might have been battling the flu, but it was soon reported in the press box at Citi Field that O’Nora had swallowed his chew. Yuck.
This ranks right up there among weird reasons baseball games have been delayed. Ahead of or behind the bees at Petco Park in 2009?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)