The Braves are just trolling the Nationals now

Apr 26, 2013, 5:02 PM EST

The Braves host the Nationals for a four-game series next week. Their advertising for it — on the web and on billboards — is rather amusing:

Sarah Kogod of the Washington Post dismisses it sarcastically as “super original.”  I think her mistake is thinking that the Braves were in any way trying to be original here. Rather, they’re mocking the Nats. Which is something which seems totally fair given that the original slogan was (a) born of an inferiority complex to begin with; and (b) Nats players aren’t gonna respect the Braves, apparently, until they’ve lost a couple more series to them.

As for me: I’ll be going up to Detroit tomorrow to take in the Braves-Tigers game. I was gonna just cheer for my team, but now I’m gonna show my Gattitude, I think. It’ll likely annoy people.

1. chacochicken - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM

All for a show of competitiveness but be careful with too much smack talk in April.

2. goskinsvt - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:13 PM

looks like the old tomahawk cheer…
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)
    …got axed.
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE­EEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH

• goskinsvt - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:14 PM

ok that was kind of lame.

3. El Bravo - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM

No time to get cocky. That’s what the Nat’s did. Now look at ‘em. Let’s just win the World Series is what I’m sayin’. Go Braves!

• kinggw - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:44 PM

The Nats got cocky? They had the best record in the majors and they returned pretty much the entire team. Should they not be confident? They’ve lost series to 3 playoff teams and an improved Mets team. I wouldn’t write them off just yet.

I’ll remind you its April and there are 120+ games to go. You might want to wait until at least June to talk smack. Pennants arent won in April.

• El Bravo - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Hey dummy, I’m talking about braves fans getting cocky. There is no reason to. Let’s just let the whiney cocky nats fans do what they do and the braves will be fine doing what they do. Now bugger off.

4. 13arod - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:21 PM

tje braves will sweep them again and again and again

5. drkincaid - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Ok I’ve been to ATL and that is NOT traffic…

6. icanspeel - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:29 PM

What does Gattitude mean? I get the nationals used nattitude, but how did the braves come up with gattitude?

On a side note, It’s probably bad that when I hear the word Gat the first thing that pops into my head is gun.

• ch0psuey - Apr 26, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Is it in reference to Evan Gattis the janitor turned cleanup hitter for braves?

7. flamethrower101 - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I like it. I did not like Espinosa’s or Strasburg’s comments about the Braves earlier this season. They just came off to me as a little too smug for their taste, and moreso now that they’ve hit under .500. With Espinosa hitting as poorly as he is to start the year, he’s not in any position to be mouthing off.

That said, the Nats are gonna turn it around. They’re just too good to be this bad for a long period of time. The question is are the Braves ever gonna slow down? That I am not entirely sure of. They look like the best team in the majors, and that’s without significant contributions from McCann, Freeman, and Heyward just to name a few. They’re a force to be reckoned with and hopefully it won’t take another series sweep for the Nats to realize that.

8. brockw82 - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Probably Georgia (Ga) attitude

• Panda Claus - Apr 26, 2013 at 6:29 PM

OK, after seeing the alternative “janitor clean-up hitter” explanation, this one works much better.

Still extremely lame, yet not as lame as Natitude was in the first place. I guess considering how boring and uncreative the Nationals name even is, Natitude is probably the best they’ll ever come up with.

9. sportsdrenched - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I dare say the Braves-Tigers Series is the most interesting this weekend. And I guess the Braves trolling the Nats is pretty fun from a 3rd party standpoint.

10. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Natitude is still the lamest thing ever.

• mazblast - Apr 28, 2013 at 11:28 AM

All the “[team name] Nation” stuff is even worse.

11. hpt150 - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Evan Gattis + attitude = Gattitude.

• illegalblues - Apr 26, 2013 at 6:30 PM

thanks!

12. sgtr0c - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I love this article. Also add in to the Nats issues, is that they thought last season’s stella regular season would happen year to year. Baseball does not let teams “call the year” they win the World Series.

13. sdelmonte - Apr 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM

So should Mets fans have Mattitude?

• jcmeyer10 - Apr 26, 2013 at 9:35 PM

No more like Sadditude.

• seeinred87 - Apr 27, 2013 at 2:00 AM

I LOLed IRL

14. realgone2 - Apr 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Big Braves fan, but this is lame. The best course of action would be to ignore them. Nats win one division and act like they are king fuck of shit mountain. Well when you sweep someone other than the Miami-Dade County High School All Stars then we’ll talk.

• recoveringcubsfan - Apr 26, 2013 at 11:10 PM

The White Sox don’t count?

15. Kevin Gillman - Apr 26, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Hey, what I REALLY want to know now is how do Strasburg and Espinosa feel? Do they still feel like they are the better team?

16. Brian Donohue - Apr 26, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Count me naive, I imagined writers would have fun with the homophone of the great American novelist (“now batting for The Recognitions…”). I guess there are few writers alive — let alone sportswriters — who even know who Gaddis was or what he wrote.

• billybawl - Apr 26, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Gaddis was just name dropped on the Keith Law podcast this week (by his guest, but still), so there you go.

17. nderdog - Apr 26, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Am I the only one who felt like they lost 10 IQ points just from reading the Post article and comments?

18. historiophiliac - Apr 26, 2013 at 8:19 PM

How convenient that Craig is going to see Porcello pitch instead of Dog Fister on Sunday…

19. natslady - Apr 26, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Did I miss the Gattitude getting blasted 10-0 with 17 strikeouts? Nope, I didn’t. Thank you SO much, Detroit.

• realgone2 - Apr 27, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Did I miss the Braves sweeping your overrated team? Nope. Come back and comment if you ever get back in first place.

20. recoveringcubsfan - Apr 26, 2013 at 11:19 PM

In line with the belived tradition of blasting the same obnoxious, maybe-racist chop music over the PA every 2 seconds for 3 hours, the Braves have never had a creative thought. Think about Bobby Cox: the original human statue. He didn’t so much as think about what he was going to do to manage a game, as he just didn’t do anything.

But this is beside the point. I think today’s 10 run ass-kicking by the Tigers puts a bit of a damper on the fun down in ATL. Striking out 17 times must have been hell for Braves fans to watch, too. Hate it for you, but that the team you bought when you committed to Uggla, Janitor, Heyward, Upton 1 and 2, et al. Too bad. I guess my point is, the silly marketing campaign couldn’t have been timed more poorly. They ain’t exactly king of the world tonight.

For those who see a cautionary tale here for the Nationals, something like how they assumed success would repeat and last forever, they (Braves fans) might want to think about just how long they expected their own success to continue. I mean, what is the plan in the event that DC comes to town and beats you next week? Wouldn’t you look just as stupid then as you seem to think the Nats look now? I suppose we can’t expect athletics to be a brainy pursuit, but show some humility and good sense, eh?

21. girlsknowsportstoo - Apr 27, 2013 at 7:42 AM

A one hit wonder and a no hit wonder…it’s April. Nats are cocky a-holes who won division title and the Braves haven’t anything in decades. Stop spitting on each others shoes and let’s see what happens in September/October already.

• realgone2 - Apr 27, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I think you win stupid comment of the day. Your prize can be collected behind the stuckeys off I-85

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2725)
  2. W. Myers (2461)
  3. C. McGehee (2072)
  4. D. Ross (2058)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1927)
  1. J. Shields (1810)