Apr 26, 2013, 8:08 PM EST
At this rate, the Yankees might run out of players. Two more players are headed to the infirmary as pitcher Ivan Nova and catcher Francisco Cervelli both exited tonight’s game against the Blue Jays with injuries.
Update (8:25 PM): It’s a broken hand for Cervelli, per Jon Heyman.
Update (8:35 PM): Surgery will be required, knocking Cervelli out at least six weeks, tweets Marchand.
Nova left in the fifth inning after Davis hit a ground ball up the middle for a hit. The ball did not appear to hit Nova, but he was visited by the team trainer and left immediately without throwing any warm-up pitches, according to Yankees blog River Ave Blues. He was replaced by David Phelps.
Update (8:35 PM): Nova left with pain in his right elbow, and will have an MRI per Marchand.
The Yankees already have three players on the 60-day DL and three on the 15-day DL as well as Kevin Youkilis, who may wind up on the DL in the coming days. Despite the adversity, though, the Yankees have persevered, entering tonight’s game with a 12-9 record.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)