Apr 26, 2013, 8:08 PM EDT
At this rate, the Yankees might run out of players. Two more players are headed to the infirmary as pitcher Ivan Nova and catcher Francisco Cervelli both exited tonight’s game against the Blue Jays with injuries.
Update (8:25 PM): It’s a broken hand for Cervelli, per Jon Heyman.
Update (8:35 PM): Surgery will be required, knocking Cervelli out at least six weeks, tweets Marchand.
Nova left in the fifth inning after Davis hit a ground ball up the middle for a hit. The ball did not appear to hit Nova, but he was visited by the team trainer and left immediately without throwing any warm-up pitches, according to Yankees blog River Ave Blues. He was replaced by David Phelps.
Update (8:35 PM): Nova left with pain in his right elbow, and will have an MRI per Marchand.
The Yankees already have three players on the 60-day DL and three on the 15-day DL as well as Kevin Youkilis, who may wind up on the DL in the coming days. Despite the adversity, though, the Yankees have persevered, entering tonight’s game with a 12-9 record.
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 19
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 46
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 22
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)