Apr 26, 2013, 8:08 PM EDT
At this rate, the Yankees might run out of players. Two more players are headed to the infirmary as pitcher Ivan Nova and catcher Francisco Cervelli both exited tonight’s game against the Blue Jays with injuries.
Update (8:25 PM): It’s a broken hand for Cervelli, per Jon Heyman.
Update (8:35 PM): Surgery will be required, knocking Cervelli out at least six weeks, tweets Marchand.
Nova left in the fifth inning after Davis hit a ground ball up the middle for a hit. The ball did not appear to hit Nova, but he was visited by the team trainer and left immediately without throwing any warm-up pitches, according to Yankees blog River Ave Blues. He was replaced by David Phelps.
Update (8:35 PM): Nova left with pain in his right elbow, and will have an MRI per Marchand.
The Yankees already have three players on the 60-day DL and three on the 15-day DL as well as Kevin Youkilis, who may wind up on the DL in the coming days. Despite the adversity, though, the Yankees have persevered, entering tonight’s game with a 12-9 record.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)