Apr 27, 2013, 7:44 PM EST
It took 76 trips to the dish, but our long national nightmare is over: Giancarlo Stanton has gone yard. Stanton hit Cubs starter Travis Wood‘s cut fastball deep down the left field line, estimated at 472 feet according to Joe Frisaro.
Stanton had been battling shoulder soreness, missing time between April 11-17. The injury clearly limited his ability to hit for power — along with a home run drought, Stanton had only managed to hit three doubles in his 75 PA entering tonight’s game. Last season, Stanton hit 37 home runs in 501 PA, even missing time due to knee problems.
Stanton is arguably the only reason for fans to come out to the ballpark, so the Marlins are very happy to finally see him on the board.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)