Apr 27, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
It took 76 trips to the dish, but our long national nightmare is over: Giancarlo Stanton has gone yard. Stanton hit Cubs starter Travis Wood‘s cut fastball deep down the left field line, estimated at 472 feet according to Joe Frisaro.
Stanton had been battling shoulder soreness, missing time between April 11-17. The injury clearly limited his ability to hit for power — along with a home run drought, Stanton had only managed to hit three doubles in his 75 PA entering tonight’s game. Last season, Stanton hit 37 home runs in 501 PA, even missing time due to knee problems.
Stanton is arguably the only reason for fans to come out to the ballpark, so the Marlins are very happy to finally see him on the board.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 15
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59