Apr 27, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
It took 76 trips to the dish, but our long national nightmare is over: Giancarlo Stanton has gone yard. Stanton hit Cubs starter Travis Wood‘s cut fastball deep down the left field line, estimated at 472 feet according to Joe Frisaro.
Stanton had been battling shoulder soreness, missing time between April 11-17. The injury clearly limited his ability to hit for power — along with a home run drought, Stanton had only managed to hit three doubles in his 75 PA entering tonight’s game. Last season, Stanton hit 37 home runs in 501 PA, even missing time due to knee problems.
Stanton is arguably the only reason for fans to come out to the ballpark, so the Marlins are very happy to finally see him on the board.
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 4
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (103)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)