Apr 27, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
According to Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles, Ramirez is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment today with High-A Rancho Cucamonga. His rehab stint is expected to consist of at least three games, but he could be activated as soon as Tuesday against the Rockies if all goes well. Tuesday has been his stated goal for a few weeks now, as it is Hanley Ramirez bobblehead day at Dodger Stadium. Hey, whatever works.
Ramirez required surgery after he tore the ligament in his right thumb in the World Baseball Classic title game on March 19. He was originally expected to miss around eight weeks, so he’s on pace to return well ahead of schedule.
Ramirez, 29, batted .257/.322/.437 with 24 home runs, 92 RBI, 21 stolen bases and a .759 OPS in 157 games last season between Los Angeles and Miami. Justin Sellers has drawn the majority of the starts at shortstop during his absence.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 5
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)