Apr 27, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman was placed on the disabled list last weekend due to a sore left hamstring, but he’s already nearing his return to game action.
Nationals manager Davey Johnson told Chase Hughes of CSNWashington.com this morning that Zimmerman will likely begin a minor league rehab assignment on Monday. While the Nationals haven’t announced which affiliate he’ll play with, High-A Potomac is the most logical destination. Barring any setbacks, the hope is that he’ll be activated when he’s first eligible next Friday against the Pirates in Pittsburgh.
According to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post, Zimmerman played catch, fielded ground balls and ran the bases this morning at Nationals Park during a workout with trainer Steve Gober and bench coach Randy Knorr. His throwing was an issue prior to the hamstring injury and it’s apparently still a work in progress, as Kilgore notes that “some of Zimmerman’s throws hit Gober in the chest; some skipped by him or flew to the short fence behind him.”
The Nationals called up top prospect Anthony Rendon when Zimmerman was placed on the disabled list, but he’ll likely head back down the minors next Friday.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 32
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 49
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)