Apr 27, 2013, 8:57 AM EDT
It was easy to sense a tiny bit of panic in the air after the Nationals dropped four in a row this week to fall under .500 for the first time since 2011. However, the past two games can put any of that silliness to bed.
It was Zimmermann’s first career shutout and third complete game. He struck out four and walked one and needed just 91 pitches to get it done. The Reds’ only hit was a single by Xavier Paul in the third inning.
Homer Bailey was pretty excellent in his own right, allowing five hits over seven innings while striking out six and walking none. But an RBI single by Jayson Werth in the bottom of the fourth inning was enough to put him on the losing side.
Zimmermann is now 4-1 with a 2.00 ERA and 19/7 K/BB ratio in 36 innings over his first five starts this season. While he doesn’t get much attention because of the presence of Stephen Strasburg and Gio Gonzalez, the 26-year-old right-hander owns a 2.95 ERA since the start of 2011. Only Cliff Lee, Jered Weaver, Johnny Cueto, Justin Verlander, and Clayton Kershaw have a lower ERA (min. 300 IP) during the same timespan.
Your Friday box scores:
Indians/Royals – postponed
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)