Apr 27, 2013, 11:27 AM EDT
In today’s Big Read, Joe Posnanski takes a look at Matt Harvey‘s impressive start to his major league career and the idea of pitching phenoms in general. In doing so, Posnanski turns back the clock to examine some other pitchers who dominated early on in their careers, including Steve Rogers, Mark Fidrych, Fernando Valenzuela, Dwight Gooden and Hideo Nomo. It’s a fun ride.
So, when a young pitcher shows up like Matt Harvey with insane fastballs and exploding sliders … there’s something magical about it. Something unlimited. A quarterback, even a perfect one, needs receivers, an offensive line, a running game, a shrewd offensive coordinator. A basketball player, no matter how good, cannot take on five defenders at a time. A pitcher, though, has the ball. He is only limited by the imagination.
And so every time a Hideo Nomo or Dwight Gooden or Matt Harvey shows up on the scene, the possibilities are endless. In many ways, I’ve marked my baseball life by the pitching phenoms who kept showing up.
Great stuff, as always. Speaking of pitching phenoms, Harvey is scheduled to face Marlins’ rookie right-hander Jose Fernandez in his next start on Monday. That’s one tasty matchup.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)