Apr 27, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT
During spring training, much was made of the Dodgers’ unusual surplus of starting pitchers. However, less than one month into the season, they are proving the old adage that you can never have enough.
According to Pedro Moura of the Orange County Register, the Dodgers have placed Stephen Fife on the 15-day disabled list with right shoulder bursitis. Matt Magill has been called up from Triple-A Albuquerque in a corresponding roster move and will start tonight against the Brewers. No word on whether the Dodgers considered placing a call to Sandy Koufax first, but it might not be much longer before they run out of options.
Incredibly, Magill will be the ninth starting pitcher for the Dodgers in the first 23 games of the season. This lengthy list includes Zack Greinke, Chad Billingsley, and Chris Capuano, who are all on the disabled list.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)