Apr 27, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT
During spring training, much was made of the Dodgers’ unusual surplus of starting pitchers. However, less than one month into the season, they are proving the old adage that you can never have enough.
According to Pedro Moura of the Orange County Register, the Dodgers have placed Stephen Fife on the 15-day disabled list with right shoulder bursitis. Matt Magill has been called up from Triple-A Albuquerque in a corresponding roster move and will start tonight against the Brewers. No word on whether the Dodgers considered placing a call to Sandy Koufax first, but it might not be much longer before they run out of options.
Incredibly, Magill will be the ninth starting pitcher for the Dodgers in the first 23 games of the season. This lengthy list includes Zack Greinke, Chad Billingsley, and Chris Capuano, who are all on the disabled list.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)