Apr 27, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT
During spring training, much was made of the Dodgers’ unusual surplus of starting pitchers. However, less than one month into the season, they are proving the old adage that you can never have enough.
According to Pedro Moura of the Orange County Register, the Dodgers have placed Stephen Fife on the 15-day disabled list with right shoulder bursitis. Matt Magill has been called up from Triple-A Albuquerque in a corresponding roster move and will start tonight against the Brewers. No word on whether the Dodgers considered placing a call to Sandy Koufax first, but it might not be much longer before they run out of options.
Incredibly, Magill will be the ninth starting pitcher for the Dodgers in the first 23 games of the season. This lengthy list includes Zack Greinke, Chad Billingsley, and Chris Capuano, who are all on the disabled list.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)