Apr 27, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT
During spring training, much was made of the Dodgers’ unusual surplus of starting pitchers. However, less than one month into the season, they are proving the old adage that you can never have enough.
According to Pedro Moura of the Orange County Register, the Dodgers have placed Stephen Fife on the 15-day disabled list with right shoulder bursitis. Matt Magill has been called up from Triple-A Albuquerque in a corresponding roster move and will start tonight against the Brewers. No word on whether the Dodgers considered placing a call to Sandy Koufax first, but it might not be much longer before they run out of options.
Incredibly, Magill will be the ninth starting pitcher for the Dodgers in the first 23 games of the season. This lengthy list includes Zack Greinke, Chad Billingsley, and Chris Capuano, who are all on the disabled list.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 5
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 26
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 206
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (208)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)