Apr 27, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT
During spring training, much was made of the Dodgers’ unusual surplus of starting pitchers. However, less than one month into the season, they are proving the old adage that you can never have enough.
According to Pedro Moura of the Orange County Register, the Dodgers have placed Stephen Fife on the 15-day disabled list with right shoulder bursitis. Matt Magill has been called up from Triple-A Albuquerque in a corresponding roster move and will start tonight against the Brewers. No word on whether the Dodgers considered placing a call to Sandy Koufax first, but it might not be much longer before they run out of options.
Incredibly, Magill will be the ninth starting pitcher for the Dodgers in the first 23 games of the season. This lengthy list includes Zack Greinke, Chad Billingsley, and Chris Capuano, who are all on the disabled list.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)