Apr 28, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Kevin Baxter of the L.A. Times has the details:
Dodgers prospect Yasiel Puig was arrested by police in Chattanooga, Tenn., early Sunday and charged with speeding, reckless driving and driving without proof of insurance.
A spokesman for the Hamilton County jail confirmed that Puig was booked Sunday morning and released a short time later. He has a hearing scheduled for the afternoon of May 14 in Hamilton County court.
Puig, rated the #47 overall prospect by Baseball America going into the season, was hitting .333 with a 1.010 OPS in 52 plate appearances with Double-A Chattanooga. The Dodgers signed the 22-year-old Cuban on June 27 last year on a seven-year, $42 million contract. Puig seemed to be on the fast track to the Majors. His arrest this morning is his first bump in the road.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)