Apr 28, 2013, 6:05 PM EST
Kevin Baxter of the L.A. Times has the details:
Dodgers prospect Yasiel Puig was arrested by police in Chattanooga, Tenn., early Sunday and charged with speeding, reckless driving and driving without proof of insurance.
A spokesman for the Hamilton County jail confirmed that Puig was booked Sunday morning and released a short time later. He has a hearing scheduled for the afternoon of May 14 in Hamilton County court.
Puig, rated the #47 overall prospect by Baseball America going into the season, was hitting .333 with a 1.010 OPS in 52 plate appearances with Double-A Chattanooga. The Dodgers signed the 22-year-old Cuban on June 27 last year on a seven-year, $42 million contract. Puig seemed to be on the fast track to the Majors. His arrest this morning is his first bump in the road.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 155
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (158)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)