Apr 28, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com had news of the transaction first:
Phils announce they have added Ruiz.Quintero designated for assignment.
— Jim Salisbury (@JSalisburyCSN) April 28, 2013
Ruiz is done serving his 25-game amphetamine suspension and ready to serve as the Phillies’ starting catcher after playing in just four minor league tune-up games. Erik Kratz will be his backup.
Ruiz, 34, batted .325/.394/.540 with 16 home runs and 68 RBI in 114 games last season and is regarded as one of the best defensive catchers in the majors. The Phillies opened the year 11-14 without him.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 84
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 223
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (223)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)