Apr 28, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com had news of the transaction first:
Phils announce they have added Ruiz.Quintero designated for assignment.
— Jim Salisbury (@JSalisburyCSN) April 28, 2013
Ruiz is done serving his 25-game amphetamine suspension and ready to serve as the Phillies’ starting catcher after playing in just four minor league tune-up games. Erik Kratz will be his backup.
Ruiz, 34, batted .325/.394/.540 with 16 home runs and 68 RBI in 114 games last season and is regarded as one of the best defensive catchers in the majors. The Phillies opened the year 11-14 without him.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)