Apr 28, 2013, 10:28 AM EST
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com had news of the transaction first:
Phils announce they have added Ruiz.Quintero designated for assignment.
— Jim Salisbury (@JSalisburyCSN) April 28, 2013
Ruiz is done serving his 25-game amphetamine suspension and ready to serve as the Phillies’ starting catcher after playing in just four minor league tune-up games. Erik Kratz will be his backup.
Ruiz, 34, batted .325/.394/.540 with 16 home runs and 68 RBI in 114 games last season and is regarded as one of the best defensive catchers in the majors. The Phillies opened the year 11-14 without him.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)