Apr 28, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com had news of the transaction first:
Phils announce they have added Ruiz.Quintero designated for assignment.
— Jim Salisbury (@JSalisburyCSN) April 28, 2013
Ruiz is done serving his 25-game amphetamine suspension and ready to serve as the Phillies’ starting catcher after playing in just four minor league tune-up games. Erik Kratz will be his backup.
Ruiz, 34, batted .325/.394/.540 with 16 home runs and 68 RBI in 114 games last season and is regarded as one of the best defensive catchers in the majors. The Phillies opened the year 11-14 without him.
- Report: Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 0
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 196
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (196)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (91)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)