Apr 28, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com had news of the transaction first:
Phils announce they have added Ruiz.Quintero designated for assignment.
— Jim Salisbury (@JSalisburyCSN) April 28, 2013
Ruiz is done serving his 25-game amphetamine suspension and ready to serve as the Phillies’ starting catcher after playing in just four minor league tune-up games. Erik Kratz will be his backup.
Ruiz, 34, batted .325/.394/.540 with 16 home runs and 68 RBI in 114 games last season and is regarded as one of the best defensive catchers in the majors. The Phillies opened the year 11-14 without him.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 17
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)