Rockies promote Nolan Arenado, DFA Chris Nelson

Apr 28, 2013, 9:31 AM EST

nolan arenado getty Getty Images

As first reported by MLB.com’s Thomas Harding, the Rockies have promoted top prospect Nolan Arenado from Triple-A Colorado Springs and will make him their starting third baseman going forward. Chris Nelson, who had been getting the majority of playing time at the hot corner this season, was designated for assignment to clear a roster spot.

Arenado ranked 42nd on Baseball America‘s Top 100 heading into the 2012 season and was expected to climb to Denver at some point that summer. But his offensive numbers were not great at Double-A Tulsa and there were some concerns raised about his maturity level, so he never got the call.

The talented 22-year-old slid to 52nd on Baseball America‘s Top 100 this past winter but has finally begun hitting the cover off the ball like every prospect evaluator thought he would.

Arenado had a .364/.392/.667 batting line, three homers, 11 doubles and 21 RBI through 18 games this year at the Triple-A level. He’s joining a first-place Rockies team with a surprising 15-9 record.

1. paperlions - Apr 28, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Ah, the wonders of hitting in the PCL.

• historiophiliac - Apr 28, 2013 at 10:34 AM

He was .285/.337/.428 in Tulsa, if that makes you feel better.

• paperlions - Apr 28, 2013 at 10:36 AM

It doesn’t make me feel anything, but that line is probably far more representative of his abilities than the one from the PCL.

• historiophiliac - Apr 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Really? I was certain that would make you jolly and milkshake-y on a Sunday morning. Huh.

• paperlions - Apr 28, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I took the dogs on a long hike through the woods, ending with a swim in a trout stream (for them, not me)….so, we’re all feeling pretty milk-shakey now.

• historiophiliac - Apr 28, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Sure, be mean and make me jealous. :(

• paperlions - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:19 PM

If you’ve never seen a rat terrier swim, it is a thing to behold….just a bit incongruous.

• historiophiliac - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I haven’t and that does not make me feel better. Thank you.

• paperlions - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I’ll actively root for the Tigers while praying for a Jose Tigre save tonight….does that help?

• historiophiliac - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I’m blacked out…so thanks again. V-Wiggles has done well so far.

• paperlions - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Can’t you want online via ESPN?

• historiophiliac - Apr 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Oh, I guess I can. You’re off the hook.

• paperlions - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Barbless hooks are pretty easy to wriggle off of.

• historiophiliac - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Well, screw that. I can’t play it on my PS3.

• paperlions - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Meaning you have to watch on the computer?

• historiophiliac - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Yes, and I can’t do that b/c 1) I’m grading and need my computer for that & 2) I hate watching it that way. That’s why I got the PS.

• paperlions - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:09 PM

you could listen via MLB

• historiophiliac - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Whatever. Not worth all the hassle. At least yesterday I could watch it on TV. :( I watched the playoffs on my computer last year and that was enough of that. If you have a PC I guess it’s okay, but my laptop isn’t much fun.

• paperlions - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Welcome to my world, I watch nearly all of the Cardinal game on my laptop…yeah, it sucks, but you do get used to it…not sure if that is good or bad.

• historiophiliac - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Well, apparently I can’t really watch it on my computer either. Dammit. Don’t you hate those freaking whiners who live in MLB cities and act all put out about parking and their homer announcers? Meanwhile, I just dropped $300 for tickets to see the Tigers play in Arlington next month and can’t watch us play nationally televised games.

• historiophiliac - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Well, I broke down and turned the audio on…Burgie will be so proud: I’m listening to it like a man. lol

• paperlions - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Congrats. Though, “listening to it like a man” is harder than you think. For example, you have to act like you are not paying attention while doing something else (preferably something will tools or a grill….but I guess grading can substitute), but then stop when you hear crowd noise or excitement in the announcers voice…and become completely outraged if someone changes the channel or starts making noise that interferes with listening to the game…you even have to do this if you are “listening” to the game while using a chainsaw.

• historiophiliac - Apr 28, 2013 at 8:54 PM

There’s nothing worse than having to shush a dude b/c he tries to talk to you while the game is on. Seriously, where do we always keep the milk? Do you think I randomly put it in the dryer so you would interrupt me during the game? If the jug is empty, we are out. Take your butt to the store and get some….

Wait, I’m totally not bitter. lol

• paperlions - Apr 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM

LMFAO…and very mean of you to keep the milk in the dryer.

• historiophiliac - Apr 28, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I thought dudes were supposed to be problem-solvers.

• paperlions - Apr 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM

For context, Charlie Blackmon (who?) has been the best offensive player on Colorado Springs this year. Arenado is 39th in the league in OBP and 6th in SLG (actually because of his high 2B total, not HRs). It is an offensive league, looking at that slash line without context is misleading.

• notsofast10 - Apr 28, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Yeah and Coors Field is such a Pitchers Park!

• paperlions - Apr 28, 2013 at 2:11 PM

By that logic (i.e. that the PCL production should translate to Coors), Colorado spring is chock full of guys that should be called up to be everyday players in the majors.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4090)