Apr 28, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
The Royals acquired right-handed starter Ervin Santana from the Angels this offseason for basically nothing. It’s still very early, but that’s looking like one of the best moves of the winter.
Santana went seven scoreless innings on Saturday night against a tough Indians lineup, striking out five batters and issuing no walks. He now boasts a 2.00 ERA and 1.03 WHIP in five starts this season with 31 strikeouts (and only five walks) in 36 innings.
The Royals are now atop the American League Central standings with a 12-8 record and a +15 run differential.
The Tigers are a game back of Kansas City at 12-10 (with a +16 run differential).
Your Saturday box scores:
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 3 (10 innings)
Giants 7, Padres 8 (12 innings)
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 18
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 34
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)