Apr 28, 2013, 8:53 AM EST
The Royals acquired right-handed starter Ervin Santana from the Angels this offseason for basically nothing. It’s still very early, but that’s looking like one of the best moves of the winter.
Santana went seven scoreless innings on Saturday night against a tough Indians lineup, striking out five batters and issuing no walks. He now boasts a 2.00 ERA and 1.03 WHIP in five starts this season with 31 strikeouts (and only five walks) in 36 innings.
The Royals are now atop the American League Central standings with a 12-8 record and a +15 run differential.
The Tigers are a game back of Kansas City at 12-10 (with a +16 run differential).
Your Saturday box scores:
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 3 (10 innings)
Giants 7, Padres 8 (12 innings)
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)