Apr 29, 2013, 6:22 PM EDT
Orioles prospect right-hander Dylan Bundy paid a visit to Dr. James Andrews today about his forearm/elbow and while surgery wasn’t required, he’s still a long way from getting back on a mound.
According to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, Bundy will be shut down for the next six weeks following a platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injection. The 20-year-old has been diagnosed with right flexor mass tightness in the area where the forearm meets the elbow. An earlier MRI on his elbow came back clean, so the source of his injury is believed to be in the forearm area.
Bundy will remain in Sarasota, Florida during the rehab process. It’s always possible that the PRP injection won’t work out and surgery could be explored, but the Orioles will hope for the best with the talented young hurler.
Bundy, the No. 4 overall pick of the 2011 First-Year Player Draft, has dominated the minors to the tune of a 2.08 ERA over 23 starts and made two scoreless appearances with the Orioles down the stretch last season. Baseball America ranked him as the game’s No. 2 prospect behind the Rangers’ Jurickson Profar in February.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 24
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)