Apr 29, 2013, 6:22 PM EDT
Orioles prospect right-hander Dylan Bundy paid a visit to Dr. James Andrews today about his forearm/elbow and while surgery wasn’t required, he’s still a long way from getting back on a mound.
According to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, Bundy will be shut down for the next six weeks following a platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injection. The 20-year-old has been diagnosed with right flexor mass tightness in the area where the forearm meets the elbow. An earlier MRI on his elbow came back clean, so the source of his injury is believed to be in the forearm area.
Bundy will remain in Sarasota, Florida during the rehab process. It’s always possible that the PRP injection won’t work out and surgery could be explored, but the Orioles will hope for the best with the talented young hurler.
Bundy, the No. 4 overall pick of the 2011 First-Year Player Draft, has dominated the minors to the tune of a 2.08 ERA over 23 starts and made two scoreless appearances with the Orioles down the stretch last season. Baseball America ranked him as the game’s No. 2 prospect behind the Rangers’ Jurickson Profar in February.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 62
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)