Apr 29, 2013, 6:22 PM EST
Orioles prospect right-hander Dylan Bundy paid a visit to Dr. James Andrews today about his forearm/elbow and while surgery wasn’t required, he’s still a long way from getting back on a mound.
According to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, Bundy will be shut down for the next six weeks following a platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injection. The 20-year-old has been diagnosed with right flexor mass tightness in the area where the forearm meets the elbow. An earlier MRI on his elbow came back clean, so the source of his injury is believed to be in the forearm area.
Bundy will remain in Sarasota, Florida during the rehab process. It’s always possible that the PRP injection won’t work out and surgery could be explored, but the Orioles will hope for the best with the talented young hurler.
Bundy, the No. 4 overall pick of the 2011 First-Year Player Draft, has dominated the minors to the tune of a 2.08 ERA over 23 starts and made two scoreless appearances with the Orioles down the stretch last season. Baseball America ranked him as the game’s No. 2 prospect behind the Rangers’ Jurickson Profar in February.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (267)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)