Former Reds, Brewers pitcher, “Little Big League” actor Brad Lesley dead at 54

Apr 29, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT

Brad Lesley

This is sad. TMZ reports that Brad Lesley, who some of you oldsters may remember as a Reds and Brewers reliever in the early 80s, but who more of you probably remember from “Little Big League” and “Mr. Baseball” died of kidney failure at 54:

Brad Lesley — who played a few years of Major League Baseball before appearing in a slew of ’90s sports movies — passed away this weekend. He was 54.Lesley’s ex-wife, Chiho Svimonoff, tells TMZ … Lesley had been suffering from kidney problems and had been living in a nursing home for the past seven months, where he was receiving dialysis.

Two words: “Go . Away.”

RIP.

1. tfbuckfutter - Apr 29, 2013 at 1:10 PM

While I acknowledge that Little Big League is probably the superior film, I am still partial to Rookie of the Year.

And holy crap, that was the kid from The Wizard? I never knew that.

• kollin7 - Apr 29, 2013 at 1:13 PM

That’s the kid from The Wizard? Well I’m damned it is. How did I never put that together?

• thomas844 - Apr 29, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Cawifornia!

2. thomas844 - Apr 29, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Billy: “We’re gonna try some things, and we’re gonna have a little fun.”
    Blackout: “I hate fun!”

I was just watching this movie yesterday on MLB Network, he was by far the best and funniest character. RIP Brad Lesley.

3. alligator8 - Apr 29, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Damn. Little Big League was on MLB Network late last night, and since I couldn’t sleep, and it’d been years since I had seen it, I stayed up to watch.

RIP. If this is my fault, I’ll do my best to not watch any other movies for at least a few days…

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 29, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I think you should maybe think about doing an Ashton Kutcher movie marathon.

4. kirkmack - Apr 29, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I’ll always remember him for his freakout after saving a game in 1984 or 1985 that This Week in Baseball then used during closing credits for a number of years afterward.

5. beefytrout - Apr 29, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I never really liked him after all that trouble he caused in Jasper, Missouri.

6. mundial8 - Apr 29, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I think it’s also funny to note that Lou Collins is also Poindexter from Revenge of the Nerds. Going from Nerd to All Star is awesome

7. shaggylocks - Apr 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I defend Little Big League whenever the topic of baseball movies comes up. It’s a fun film, and there’s a lot of good, smart baseball in there as well.

8. 13arod - Apr 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM

i saw little big league for the first time last week he did good and he was funny RIP

9. contraryguy - Apr 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM

The Animal! Can’t leave that out… he was always “Brad The Animal Lesley” back in the day. RIP, big guy.

10. badintent - Apr 29, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Take care of your kidneys. No binge drinking and lay off the Doritos and Coke.Take care of your kidneys and they ‘ll take care of you.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win