John Kruk called the Miguel Cabrera homer last night

Apr 29, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT

John Kruk

Fun Fact: my lady friend and I stayed overnight in Detroit on Saturday night. Yesterday morning we were leaving our room to go out and get some breakfast and who should be waiting for the elevator on our floor but John Kruk. Yes: I spent the night on the same hotel floor as John Kruk. There aren’t enough showers in the world.

Anyway, the lady friend noticed that Kruk didn’t look so good, like maybe he had a bad night sleep or something. I dunno. He looked just like John Kruk to me, though I did wonder if some tossing and turning would have him off his game 12 hours later when he had to do color commentary for the ESPN broadcast. ┬áNope, seems he was all good. Even called Miguel Cabrera‘s three-run homer just before he hit it:

Not bad. Much harder than calling something like, say, “this Braves hitter is about to strike out in ugly fashion,” which is something he could have said every at bat for the whole Tigers series and still had a pretty good prediction average.

Anyway, dirty secret: I kinda like John Kruk as booth guy so far. Like, way more than I thought I would.

1. heyblueyoustink - Apr 29, 2013 at 9:00 AM

He also called a pizza joint and a hot dog vendor.

• beelza - Apr 29, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Say that to an (w)NBA player and runs away and cries. Say it to a ball player, he laughs and then drops your ass jon bones bones style. #lethalelbows

2. papacrick - Apr 29, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Impressive call considering Miggy has swung at maybe two 3-0 pitches in his 5 plus seasons of being a Tiger

3. Old Gator - Apr 29, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Who wants to donate a testicle to John Kruk?

• nbjays - Apr 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Jordany Valdespin… but it’s taken a beating already…

4. dhuf12 - Apr 29, 2013 at 9:51 AM

WOW!!! Amazing!! You have a lady friend?

• historiophiliac - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Gives you hope, does it?

• dhuf12 - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Give hope to us all

• historiophiliac - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Word.

5. mybrunoblog - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Calcaterra and his lady friend were very disappointed as they arrived at the hotel restaurant for breakfast and were told John Kruk had eaten all the food.

6. slickdemetrius - Apr 29, 2013 at 11:09 AM

“Lady friend”? What are you, 90?
    In this day of age, it’s okay to admit that you have a mistress on the side. Heck in some places it’s fashionable and a career enhancer.

• Jeremy T - Apr 29, 2013 at 4:52 PM

she’s not exactly on the side… She even comments here from time to time.

• Jeremy T - Apr 29, 2013 at 4:52 PM

oh, and important point: Craig is not married, so I’m not entirely sure what she’d be on the side of.

7. cazo97 - Apr 29, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Calcaterra – I totally agree with you about Kruk – had negative expectations and I think he adds a lot to the mix

8. jsally430 - Apr 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I keep watching with anticipation for the one time he drops an f bomb on live t.v

9. ken49ers - Apr 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Having him in the booth is almost Madden-like.

1. H. Pence (2145)