Apr 29, 2013, 9:34 AM EDT
Yesterday R.A. Dickey gave up a homer to Lyle Overbay in the seventh inning. The next batter, Eduardo Nunez, came up to bat, but before he did he called time, had the trainer come out and help him get something out of his eye. At least that’s what appeared to happen. Dickey says it was gamesmanship:
“What had happened, and it was fairly obvious to everyone in our dugout, was that Joe (Girardi) was trying to get (Nunez) to take some extra time so he could get Robertson warmed up in the bullpen,” Dickey said. “(It’s) just gamesmanship on his part.”
Nunez said it was just stuff in his eye. I didn’t see the game, but the accounts of the little incident suggest it was only a short delay. How Dickey can be so sure it was faked is beyond me. Anyone with any insight?
While we’re at it, is it possible for the Jays and Yankees to play a series without someone accusing someone else of chicanery or unwritten rules violations or something? Seems like it happens every time.
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 0
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 31
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 53
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 96
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)