Rays reporter Kelly Nash captures moment when her head was almost crushed by a baseball

Apr 29, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT

This is one of those things that is so scary looking precisely because it almost looks fake. But it’s real: Kelly Nash (Twitter handle, Instagram page), who covers the Tampa Bay Rays for Fox Sun Sports, took a picture of herself in the Green Monster seats before the Rays Astros-Red Sox game on Saturday. And in it she captured a batting practice home run almost crushing her head:

source:

Her full story about the shot can be read here.

People who try to Photoshop fake ones like that never do such a good job.  But this one is real, as the interplay with witnesses and others on her Twitter feed make clear.

Glad you lived to tell the tale, Kelly. And share the photo.

1. dirtyharry1971 - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM

HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

• dondada10 - Apr 29, 2013 at 12:11 PM

You’ve been posting a lot of mindless dribble against the Jays this year, but I’m glad there’s something we can agree on.

2. dempseysarmy - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I don’t know, man….something about that pic looks fake. First, my iPhone camera never catches anything in motion without a blur and the ball almost looks like it is in the foreground with the lighting…

• bigleagues - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I downloaded the image from FoxSports website and ran Error Level Analysis on it and, at least from that copy of the image, it seems HIGHLY UNLIKELY to be a fake.

The image errors, lighting, shadows, etc . . . are all consistent throughout the image.

Then I snagged the image from the original source, Nash’s Instagram and there is slightly less conclusive evidence in the original, but never-the-less remains highly unlikely to be a fake. There were a few things I would want to investigate if I had the means and resources, but again it just seems unlikely. It would be nice to know what camera/phone she was using and the shutter speed it was set at though.

Finally, and more importantly, here is an depth look at Kelly Nash, the reporter at the center of this growing controversy :-)

• bigleagues - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:40 AM

/edit function: “an in-depth”

• snowbirdgothic - Apr 29, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Yes, clearly this is part of a false flag operation.

Infowars link in three…two…one…

• bigleagues - Apr 29, 2013 at 1:30 PM

LOL

Pay no attention to the “10″ in the wrong stadium with a ball flying at her head.

• snowbirdgothic - Apr 30, 2013 at 12:17 AM

The question being, are the thumbs-down types actual conspiracy nuts who don’t like being mocked, or humorless anti-conspiracy types who’ve lost their capacity to identify deadpan.

It’s a fascinating conundrum.

3. manute - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:11 AM

She looks like she knows a lot about baseball.

I saw Gammons talking selfies during BP too. All the greats do it.

4. bigleagues - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Obviously it’s great that the ball missed Kelly’s head. It would have been quite tragic if she suffered any head or face trauma.

Almost as big a relief and almost as big an averted tragedy is that the ball missed her boobs – because popped implants are dangerous.

• apmn - Apr 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Not Photoshopped, still fake.

• bigleagues - Apr 29, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Make fake claim, offer proof.

Otherwise, useless.

• andrewproughcfe - Apr 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM

One thing should be noted – a home run ball would not “crush” her head. By the time a ball has been hit over the outfield wall it would have lost significant speed and power, probably just giving her a bruise if it had made contact with her noggin. Wouldn’t be much worse (if any) than getting hit by a ball during a game of catch.

The most dangerous balls are the ones that have just left the bat – scorchers back at the pitcher or up the third base line at an oncoming runner’s head – those would be the dangerous ones that still retain a large amount of their speed and power.

• blacksables - Apr 29, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Depends on who hit it. In 1976, while playing for the Orioles, Reggie Jackson hit a batting practice home run 15 runs up into the left field bleachers. The kid was looking, and only knew it when he heard us yelling to look out.

He turned, saw the ball, and put his 50 page program up in front of him. The ball went through the program, hit him in the chest hard enough for him to start coughing blood (bruised lungs?), and knocked over the row of seats.

So, yeah, a home run ball can cause a lot of damage.

• scoocha - Apr 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM

That’s what I was going to ask. Fake or real boobs?
      If fake, then hotness goes down a notch.
      Implants are women’s version of steroids. Cheatin’.

5. Jeremiah Graves - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I don’t want to insult the story here…or Kelly’s abilities, but I should mention that the Rays and Red Sox weren’t playing each other this past weekend.

It was the Red Sox and the Astros. The Rays were in Chicago this past weekend.

I’m not entirely sure why the Rays reporter was in Boston for that, but she’s pretty, so I assume we’ll let it slide.

• beearl - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:34 AM

The linked article states that she has family in MA and she was at the game doing prep for a future Rays feature.

6. historiophiliac - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM

What’s with taking pictures of yourself and posting them? I don’t get that.

• realgone2 - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:39 AM

It’s the pay attention to me generation

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Selfies they’re called, all the rage amongst frequent social media users.

• historiophiliac - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I use social media. I don’t take pictures of myself and post them. And “selfies” sounds dirty.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 29, 2013 at 11:26 AM

But what does her pre-digested food look like? I really want to know.

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 29, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Well, if you think about it, selfies *could* be dirty :-)

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 29, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I am definitely guilty of the pre digested food bombs.

• historiophiliac - Apr 29, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Selfies *should* be dirty.

FTFY

• forsch31 - Apr 29, 2013 at 8:20 PM

In the linked story, she took the picture of herself on the Green Monster because her “whole family is from Massachusetts, and I knew they would be so excited to see me working at Fenway Park.” Has nothing to do with “selfies”; it’s making a recording of herself being at a place she’s visiting…which is 90% of the reason to take photos in the first place.

• historiophiliac - Apr 30, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Yeah, I would’ve still just taken a picture of the stadium — unless it was a picture of me with a player I really liked. If the Rays play there, can’t her family see her on TV?

7. Old Gator - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM

If a baseball crushes a blonde’s head and there’s nothing inside but a vacuum, can it make a sound?

• historiophiliac - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Yes, it is the sound of men weeping.

8. realgone2 - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Well they didn’t hire her for her brains. Great idea to turn your back to guys hitting baseballs in your direction.

9. DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Okay, we’re all thinking it, so I am going to say it

• historiophiliac - Apr 29, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I’m laughing at you, dudes.

• indaburg - Apr 29, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Me too. Ah, let ‘em have their fun. She’s a pretty girl.

• historiophiliac - Apr 29, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Don’t you sometimes wonder how they manage to rule the world? lol

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Women stare at breasts just as much as men do

Like I said, we all are thinking it ;)

• historiophiliac - Apr 29, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Yeah, I’m not going to explain to you what I meant by that. Just know I’m laughing at you.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 29, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Whateva :)

• historiophiliac - Apr 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM

It’s all good. I’m not hating.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 29, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Oh I know – on a thread invloving boobs, baseball and a Seinfeld quote, it’s all fun and games anyway you look at it

• historiophiliac - Apr 29, 2013 at 1:23 PM

It understandably brings out the certified boobologist in all of you.

• paperlions - Apr 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Yeah, I don’t think they’re real either.

• historiophiliac - Apr 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Oh, I doubt it, but that wasn’t why I was laughing either.

• paperlions - Apr 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Did you guys realize there is a ball next to her head?

• historiophiliac - Apr 29, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Eventually. I was distracted at first by her big teeth.

• paperlions - Apr 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Yeah, yeah…..me too.

• historiophiliac - Apr 29, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Seriously?

/eye roll

10. bigmeechy74 - Apr 29, 2013 at 11:00 AM

That would’ve been a shame if she got hit. Holy moly she is freaking gorgeous

11. nategearhart - Apr 29, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Damn but there’s some embarrassing comments on this post.

12. blovy8 - Apr 29, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Ok, the baseball may be real, but she’s got to be airbrushed a little, right?

13. sportsdrenched - Apr 29, 2013 at 11:46 AM

(I am not in the 8th grade, I am not in the 8th grade…aww forget it)

There’s a baseball in that picture?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 29, 2013 at 1:17 PM

That’s what they say….

14. coloradostupid - Apr 29, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Ahem…….. keep your eye on the ball at all times? Guess she knows that now.

15. mrhojorisin - Apr 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I still have my doubts. If this happened during batting practice, as claimed, wouldn’t there be at least ONE player or SOMEONE visible on the field? And if the ball had come that close, wouldn’t she have heard it land nearby? I mean, her story is her producer yelled “Heads up” or something like that and then she looked at the photo and saw how close the ball had come to hitting her. I think she would have known how close it had come just by it crashing into the seats near her.

Sorry to be so skeptical, but we live in a time when more than a couple of careers were launched with much worse than doctored ballpark photos. There are dozens of “gorgeous”, “hot”, “insert adjective” young women working in these types of broadcast jobs these days, on cable and local stations; every market has several, from what I’ve seen. That’s a lot of competition. Nothing like a little Twitter trend to outpace the crowd.

• snowbirdgothic - Apr 30, 2013 at 12:21 AM

And because there’s no one visible on the field in left (never mind that there’s a large chunk of LF not visible from that angle), that’s conclusive proof that the moon landings were faked, the Rothschilds are manipulating world events from a luxury cave in Zurich, and the Deros and the Greys will be throwing down in Ultima Thule shortly.

16. frenchy1212 - Apr 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Not 1 player visible in left field shagging balls?

17. 13arod - Apr 29, 2013 at 2:52 PM

i watch tampa games and glad she didn’t get hurt

18. yahmule - Apr 29, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Now an interesting photo would have been the moment of impact on a reverse Canseco.

Glad she’s okay.