Apr 29, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
Earlier this month Cubs prospect Jorge Soler was suspended five games after attempting to attack the opposing team’s dugout while holding a bat and now his own manager has benched him for not hustling.
Single-A Daytona manager Dave Keller told Sean Kernan of the Daytona Beach News Journal that Soler was benched for failing to run hard twice during Saturday’s game:
He sat [Sunday] because within the philosophy and the work ethic that we are trying to create in this organization–and that we are trying to get our players to understand–work ethic, energy, determination, playing hard and running hard is part of the whole program. When you don’t do that, then you don’t get to play. That’s something that has really been emphasized over the last two years.
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports that Keller “has the support of Cubs’ management in his disciplinary measure.”
Soler, who signed a $30 million contract with the Cubs after defecting from Cuba, has hit .276 with two homers and a .785 OPS in 15 games at high Single-A as a 21-year-old.
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 8
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 15
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)