Apr 29, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Bill Madden of the Daily News reports that the Blue Jays, off to an awful start, held a players-only, closed-door meeting yesterday
DeRosa would later call a players-only meeting to reiterate a lot of what beleaguered Blue Jay manager John Gibbons said to the media the day before … “There’s just a bad vibe creeping in here and we need to address it,” DeRosa said. “It’s just weird after spring training when we had a swagger about us.”
Maybe coming in to the season with “swagger” before you accomplished anything has something to do with the problems. Who knows!
In other news, Andy Martino catches up with R.A. Dickey who has a lot to say about the weird fascination the Mets and some of their fans still seem to have with him. He’s out the door and long gone, but for some reason he’s still a divisive figure in Queens. This is what happens to baseball players when they have the gall to have opinions about things I suppose.
One opinion Dickey shared with Martino is questionable, however:
“It has obviously been incredibly disappointing for everybody,” Dickey said. “The beauty of baseball is that it’s just one month and we’ve got five left. So there’s still time.
Go ask Jay Jaffe about that. He looks at teams who have started as poorly as the Jays have in the wild card era. And the results are something less than encouraging.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 9
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)