Apr 29, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Bill Madden of the Daily News reports that the Blue Jays, off to an awful start, held a players-only, closed-door meeting yesterday
DeRosa would later call a players-only meeting to reiterate a lot of what beleaguered Blue Jay manager John Gibbons said to the media the day before … “There’s just a bad vibe creeping in here and we need to address it,” DeRosa said. “It’s just weird after spring training when we had a swagger about us.”
Maybe coming in to the season with “swagger” before you accomplished anything has something to do with the problems. Who knows!
In other news, Andy Martino catches up with R.A. Dickey who has a lot to say about the weird fascination the Mets and some of their fans still seem to have with him. He’s out the door and long gone, but for some reason he’s still a divisive figure in Queens. This is what happens to baseball players when they have the gall to have opinions about things I suppose.
One opinion Dickey shared with Martino is questionable, however:
“It has obviously been incredibly disappointing for everybody,” Dickey said. “The beauty of baseball is that it’s just one month and we’ve got five left. So there’s still time.
Go ask Jay Jaffe about that. He looks at teams who have started as poorly as the Jays have in the wild card era. And the results are something less than encouraging.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 69
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)