Yasiel Puig was going 97 in a 50 m.p.h. zone

Apr 29, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT

Yasiel Puig was arrested for reckless driving over the weekend. How reckless?

I guess a sober dude going 97 in a 50 is better than a drunk dude driving, but we’re well into the tall grass of false dichotomies with that line of thinking.

Slow down, son. Slow down so you can live to see Albuquerque.

1. knowlegeforyou - Apr 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM

And the cop took his word for it and booked him to make someone else come pick him up.

2. El Bravo - Apr 29, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Both Bill Shaikin and Yasiel Puig should be cited and fined for improper use of the letter “i”.

3. fanofevilempire - Apr 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM

if he was driving 3 mph faster he would have been going twice
    the speed limit.

• theonlynolan - Apr 29, 2013 at 3:58 PM

This comment made me laugh really hard.

4. thegreatstoneface - Apr 29, 2013 at 4:13 PM

…i lived in chattanooga for several years. i wonder where he was caught? there are divided highways posted at 50mph that would make this seem a little less bad…

and i imagine the local guys weren’t exactly bending over backwards for the dark foreigner in the nice car zipping along at nearly double the speed limit in the middle of the night.

• historiophiliac - Apr 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM

What? DWB? Nah, not in Tennessee…

• mazblast - Apr 29, 2013 at 5:52 PM

If the driver has the usual too-dark side windows, how does the cop know he’s black or a fairly dark Latino? Perhaps the cop pulled over a car that was going 97 in a 50 zone because it was going 97, not because of the color of the driver.

• historiophiliac - Apr 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I’m not questioning that. I’m doubtful about the need to arrest as opposed to ticketing him. And there is evidence of disproportionate punishment in such situations based on race. I’m not saying the cop did that for sure, but it’s always good to check these things because it does happen.

5. sarcasticks - Apr 29, 2013 at 4:46 PM

He’s still on the metric system, so in his mind he was only doing about 10 over.

6. slickdemetrius - Apr 29, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Perhaps he thought the “97″ was km/h.

7. ramrene - Apr 29, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Oh, now that’s great. We just invested approx 45-million on this guy and he’ll be dead in the next 2-years. Better call him up now so we can at least get something out of that investment.

8. badintent - Apr 29, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Cutting sugar cane. Back in Cuba.He can drive some 80 year old car 30 km/h there.Deport his ass.

• gloccamorra - Apr 30, 2013 at 8:39 AM

You want to send a regugee back to a Marxist-Leninist police state and certain internment in a latin gulag infested with fleas and cockroaches over a speeding ticket, without knowing possibly mitigating time of day/night, type of road, level of traffic, stopping sight distance or other road conditions?

9. chumthumper - Apr 30, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Things Never Say To A Policeman
    1. I can’t reach my license unless you hold my beer.
    2. Sorry Officer, I didn’t realize my radar detector wasn’t plugged in.
    3. Aren’t you the guy from the Village People?
    4. Hey, you must’ve been doin’ about 90 mph to keep up with me. Good job!
    5. Are You Andy or Barney?
    6. I thought you had to be in relatively good physical condition to be a police officer.
    7. You’re not gonna check the trunk, are you?
    8. I pay your salary!
    9. Gee Officer! That’s terrific. The last officer only gave me a warning, too!
    10. Do you know why you pulled me over? Okay, just so one of us does.
    11. I was trying to keep up with traffic. Yes, I know there are no other cars around. That’s how far ahead of me they are.
    12. When the Officer says “Gee Son….Your eyes look red, have you been drinking?” You probably should not respond with “Gee Officer, your eyes look glazed, have you been eating doughnuts?”
    13. Will you guys make up your mind! Yesterday the judge took my license away and now you want me to show it to you.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4043)