Apr 30, 2013, 6:27 AM EDT
Athletics 10, Angels 8: Nineteen innings. Six and a half hours. Sixteen pitchers, including A’s Opening Day starter Brett Anderson who pitched five and a third innings out of the pen. The Angels, for their part, had two pitchers — Tommy Hanson who started it and Jerome Williams who came in later — each of whom pitched what would have been a quality start. Ended on a Brandon Moss two-run homer, his second of the night/morning. Albert Pujols had two homers as well. It ended less than an hour and a half before my alarm clock went off this morning. It was the longest game in Angels history and the longest game ever played in Oakland. At least they follow it up with a night game rather than a day tilt.
Braves 3, Nationals 2: Atlanta beats Washington for the eighth straight time dating back to last season. The kicker: they did it without any home runs.
Astros 9, Yankees 1: Hey, even the worst teams win several dozen times a year. You just don’t expect them to beat the tar out of Andy Pettitte, that’s all. Catcher Carlos Corporan went 4 for 5 with a homer, double and four RBI. Lucas Harrel allowed only one run in six and a third.
Marlins 4, Mets 3: The Marlins won in 15 innings, but they lost their best player — Giancarlo Stanton — to a strained hamstring and he may miss more time than that after saying he felt a “pop” in his leg. Five straight losses for the Mets. No one is leaving this game happy.
Brewers 10, Pirates 4: Milwaukee hit five home runs, including one from Yovani Gallardo of all people, in the rout. They hit three triples too. Gallardo likewise allowed only one earned run in seven innings. Miller Park continues to be a house of horrors for the Pirates.
Mariners 6, Orioles 2: Joe Saunders with a complete game, allowing only two runs against his old mates. At least I assume they were his mates. I dunno. Maybe everyone hated Saunders in Baltimore. Called him “jerkface” and stuff. We never can really know these things.
Rockies 12, Dodgers 2: Colorado rattled off 19 hits. Including three from pitcher Tyler Chatwood who drove in two to [all together now] help his own cause. His six shutout innings helped that quite a bit too.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 18
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 5
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)