Andy Pettitte got beat by Astros hitters he didn’t even know

Apr 30, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT

Seattle Mariners v New York Yankees Getty Images

Andy Pettitte got knocked around by the Astros last night, allowing seven runs while failing to make it out of the fifth inning, and Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York writes that the Yankees left-hander wasn’t even sure who was doing the damage:

What made it worse was that Pettitte couldn’t even name the hitters who were jumping all over him in the Yankees’ 9-1 loss to the team with the worst record in the American League.

“I threw a pretty good cutter to the No. 2 hitter, and then after that it just kind of abandoned me,” Pettitte said. The Astros’ No. 2 hitter is named Brandon Barnes, and he enjoyed a career night, with three hits (two doubles) and three RBIs.

“Later, I had a kid 0-2 and I was trying to keep it at [3-0] and tried to go back to the cutter,” he said. It was the same “kid,” Barnes, and the same result, a two-run double that made it 5-0.

Pettitte said afterward that the whole outing “made me sick to my stomach.”

1. apmn - Apr 30, 2013 at 1:54 PM

“And I would have won this start if it weren’t for you meddling kids!”

Gives Brandon Barnes a Scooby Snack.

• Brian Donohue - Apr 30, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I guess the get-off-my-lawn thing didn’t work for AP…

2. Jason Collette - Apr 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM

they were all made up names

3. Jeremy T - Apr 30, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I heard them saying on the Yankees radio broadcast that there isn’t a single staff member left that Pettitte knew from his time as an Astro. No traveling secretary, announcer, nothing.

• theninfinger - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Not quite true: Bill Brown, the TV play-by-play guy is still with the team, but I’ve heard that he may not be traveling to all the away games. I wouldn’t know: we are shut out from watching the ‘Stros on TV this year because of the ComCast deal. Sometimes it’s a blessing not being able to see them this year, though.

• Bob - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Alan Ashby is back as a radio color analyst — he was there during Pettitte’s time in Houston. Rex Jones, the assistant athletic trainer, is still there. I get their point and they may be relaying what Pettitte told them, but the information is wrong. Pettitte must have “misremebered” like his buddy.

Organizations turn over all the time. He hasn’t pitched for the Astros since ’06. Nice narrative, but not an unusual one.

4. jm91rs - Apr 30, 2013 at 1:59 PM

If you only have to play every 5 games or so, don’t you think you could spend a little time looking at the schedule and scouting your opposition?

• evanwins - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Right???

And he wonders why he got shelled. Go figure.

I’ll bet he knows their names now.

5. jeffa43 - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:02 PM

umm… read the scouting report?… just an idea.

• stex52 - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM

They caught Mr. Andy being lazy. Oops.

6. darthicarus - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Alzheimer’s.

7. Darkoestrada - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Maybe not knowing who was in the lineup he was pitching against had something to do with the shelling Andy took last night. I know they’re not a good team but they’re still major leaguers. Fans can have an excuse for not knowing who Brandon Barnes is but not millionaire pitchers who have 4 days to prepare for their next start.

8. drewzducks - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:29 PM

No shame in losing to the best 8 win team in the majors.

9. moogro - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:34 PM

He calls his wife “the spouse” and his kids “units.”

• tuberippin - Apr 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Andy Pettitte does not know anyone’s name, not even his own.

10. 13arod - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM

the astros are starting to win games know

• stex52 - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:49 PM

You forgot the sarcasm font. I wish they were. But I think this was a blip.

11. Francisco (FC) - Apr 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM

So Pettite literally did not know what hit him.

• stex52 - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:50 PM

One suspects that he didn’t think he needed to do the work to beat that team. He probably won’t do that again.

12. Old Gator - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:15 PM

You know what I miss? I miss Dirtyharry ragging on the Feather Lice for not even being able to do what the Astros did.

• nbjays - May 1, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Jeez, Gator… please don’t encourage him.

13. southpaw2k - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Andy Pettitte’s probably been playing baseball longer than some of the Astros have been alive too.

14. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Apr 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM

He was distracted by all the loud rock music those young whippersnappers like to play while on his damn lawn.

15. Walk - Apr 30, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I have seen college teams in spring training embarrass major league teams because there was no scouting report and pitchers were just working on specifc things like mechanics. This is the first time I recall it happening in the regular season though. So yeah read the scouting report or make your catcher do it at least.

16. multiplemiggs - May 1, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Why is this cheating a-hole loser still playing?? Your ploy to make it in the Hall wont work CHEATER. GO AWAY

• jimeejohnson - May 1, 2013 at 8:08 PM

New Englander much?

17. scoocha - May 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM

The Astros finally realized the formula to beat the NYY, play no-name players, especially pitchers. I don’t know if the Yankees have the worst scouts in baseball, but it seems every time teams throw a no-name starter against them, the NYY are just clueless. At least the first time around.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3897)