Apr 30, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
Andy Pettitte got knocked around by the Astros last night, allowing seven runs while failing to make it out of the fifth inning, and Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York writes that the Yankees left-hander wasn’t even sure who was doing the damage:
What made it worse was that Pettitte couldn’t even name the hitters who were jumping all over him in the Yankees’ 9-1 loss to the team with the worst record in the American League.
“I threw a pretty good cutter to the No. 2 hitter, and then after that it just kind of abandoned me,” Pettitte said. The Astros’ No. 2 hitter is named Brandon Barnes, and he enjoyed a career night, with three hits (two doubles) and three RBIs.
“Later, I had a kid 0-2 and I was trying to keep it at [3-0] and tried to go back to the cutter,” he said. It was the same “kid,” Barnes, and the same result, a two-run double that made it 5-0.
Pettitte said afterward that the whole outing “made me sick to my stomach.”
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 53
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 45
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (238)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)